Switching to Plastics last minute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doopdoop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 3rd year medical student who was basically set on going into ENT. I took a year off after my 2nd year to do a year of basic science research in ENT (with a research fellowship), but after doing my ENT and Plastics rotations, I've realized that Plastics is the right career choice for me. My stats are as follows: step 1- 245, passed all my clerkships (no honors; currently on my gen surg rotation), 7 publications (half of them are first-author, some publications are in hand surgery but through Ortho PI), attend a top 10 medical school in the east coast. I have gotten numerous research grants as well. I guess my question now is, should I apply into ENT and try for the independent route or would I have a shot at applying to the integrated route? If I have a shot at the integrated plastics route, what can I do to make my application more competitive?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Deep breath, bud. March of your 3rd year isn't last minute. Just might affect your away rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with ram, deep breathing exercises. Get a PRS mentor at your top ten med school and get working on aways at places where the PD/chiefs in PRS are influential. Get step 2 outta the way when you can and switch gears if that's what you wanna do. Also be prepared to have the answer to the question of why you decided to switch from ENT to PRS for interviews as you already know that will come up in conversation. I would probably not try to dual apply to ENT and PRS as both are competitive. Sellout for one or the other and get a couple gen surg backup interviews.