Switching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncleJessie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a general surgery resident, and I've decided that I am no longer interested in that specialty. The OR has completely lost its previous glamour (i'd frankly rather just get the floor work done and go home), and I'm tired of being on call every third night. I'm tired of malignant personalities and snarky fellow residents.

That being said, I don't want to completely throw away the past two years of my life. I'm currently beginning my second year. While I'd ideally like to know if there are any programs that will take me as a second year, I'd also love to know if there are any programs that have open first year spots for me to switch to.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The match and scramble are over, and the new interns started almost a month ago. So, you're a little late to the party.

There's a good chance that there are still unfilled PGY-1 slots. No easy way to know where, however. I suggest you talk with your P.D. You'll need his/her help to make the switch.

our program recently gave a 2 yr surg resident 9 months credit.

I had to do the ol' switcheroo as well. here is what I did. Located the programs I wanted and "cold called" them. email actually.

worked beautifully, I love where I am. Not only is the program nice and great facilities, but it is also a part of the country the bodes well for my active lifestyle.

In all honesty, I care most about doing the activities I love. That was the main thing I looked for. (I race Lance Armstrong in a few weeks, I decided to forgo my age group win teheheh)

it just so happens I totally lucked out. awesome pay, pushing the limits of vacation days, great modern facility, and premium location if you like trail running, mtn biking, road cycling, hiking, climbing....I could go on and on....

good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Mx - so how'd you do it again? I mean, they called you for an interview right after your email?

And blue dog - yes, write to your PD, there's an email listserv for PDs where they write each other about vacancies. You can also find positions on findaresident.com and residentswap.com, though they're both pay sites. Other than that Im not aware of anyother thing. I'm not sure about the credit part - but if youre switching completely to medicine or family med then you may have to start again. Good luck!

Thanks Mx - so how'd you do it again? I mean, they called you for an interview right after your email?

And blue dog - yes, write to your PD, there's an email listserv for PDs where they write each other about vacancies. You can also find positions on findaresident.com and residentswap.com, though they're both pay sites. Other than that Im not aware of anyother thing. I'm not sure about the credit part - but if youre switching completely to medicine or family med then you may have to start again. Good luck!

I had a form email and sent it to the places I liked. I changed the Name, etc where I could and did NOT send a mass email to multiple places...but I certainly copied and pasted and edited.

I just kept it short and to the point stating I desired a second year spot. I more or less asked if their program provided for advance standing. I did this around the end of Sept/Oct, interviewed mid Nov and took offer by thanksgiving.

I still did ERAS as a back-up, but this all transpired without ERAS.

Anyone know the score on changing from one FM program to another?

I know it's only been 3 weeks or so of non-orientation time, but I'm really thinking I made a BIG mistake coming to this program (i.e. listing it as my top choice). It was between this one and a more rural program in an area where the schools were less than optimal so the kiddos would have to go into private schools to the tune of $12K.

My current program gave assurances that we could structure the program to our liking via electives. Well, the reality is that it's hard to get the training since you're competing with the other residency programs at this location. So a lot of the things I wanted really can't be delivered. During the interview, no interns were around. Should have been a danger signal but for I didn't key on it soon enough. Most of the people here don't want anything to do with any FM procedures and don't mind referring out a lot of the stuff other programs learn to manage. When the upper levels are almost universally unhappy, it concerns me.....

So---I'm considering a move and don't know how difficult the logistics would be. Do I just call the other PD and begin negotiations there? It's a bit of a drive, but should I take some vacation time, make the drive and take 'em to lunch? Haven't made any decisions yet, but just wanted to know the logistics to take into account.....

OP: I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way when I left my surgery residency. Still trying to decide what to do. Some days anesthesia seems appealing. Some days FM seems appealing. Weird, I know.

9 months of credit seems like a lot to me for a GS person in a FP program. I could see getting credit for surgery rotations, and maybe ICU rotations if those are part of FP program, but there's not a whole lot of similarity between GS and primary care. Care to elaborate? I'd love to get 9 months credit in a FP program.

OP: I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way when I left my surgery residency. Still trying to decide what to do. Some days anesthesia seems appealing. Some days FM seems appealing. Weird, I know.

9 months of credit seems like a lot to me for a GS person in a FP program. I could see getting credit for surgery rotations, and maybe ICU rotations if those are part of FP program, but there's not a whole lot of similarity between GS and primary care. Care to elaborate? I'd love to get 9 months credit in a FP program.

don't the first yr surgeons do lots of IM stuff? personally, i did a traditional 1 yr rotating DO internship...but we both got 9 mos. maye the res at my program did a 1yr like me then a prelim surg yr...sorry for the mis-info

don't the first yr surgeons do lots of IM stuff? personally, i did a traditional 1 yr rotating DO internship...but we both got 9 mos. maye the res at my program did a 1yr like me then a prelim surg yr...sorry for the mis-info

First year GS do cover medical issues for their floor patients...up to a point. Beyond some basic things, a medicine consult is called to manage medical issues. At my institution anyway. We didn't spend a lot of time managing intractable HTN or difficult to control BG, for example. Especially not tweaking regimens that pt could be d/c'd home on. Nitropaste will bring a blood pressure down to get through the night, but you can't send pt home on it!

You could surely get credit for your EM/acute care months if you did gen surg, particularly as you did trauma. We have to do ortho/sports med as FP residents, so if you did ortho as a gen surg intern, that counts, too.

I'm at a great, competitive FP program and we're getting a new R2 who's starting next month- switching from Obgyn. It was just luck that she happened to be looking when our spot opened. I'm not sure how her credits transfer but it's totally doable and I know she's not repeating intern year.

Good luck with your switch! I'm so happy I chose family med. I interviewed for Ob, IM and FP and (luckily) settled on FP. If I'd done any of the others I'd have switched by now.