Sympathetic vs parasympathetic nervous system question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Quick question on this:

So for the sympathetic nervous system I have increased blood flow to skeletal muscle, increase blood pressure and heart rate, but then in the kaplan book it's saying that vasoconstriction is for sympathetic and vasodilation is for parasympathetic. How is this possible is its supposed to increase blood blow- wouldn't that be dilation?

I've heard people say it's vasoconstriction but I'm still not sure why. Could someone help me with this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Yes Vasoconstriction does happen during sympathetic, but it's to the visceral organs not muscles. Also add in dilation of pupils.
Edit: Vasodilation occurs To the visceral organs during parasympathetic.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes Vasoconstriction does happen during sympathetic, but it's to the visceral organs not muscles. Also add in dilation of pupils.
Edit: Vasodilation occurs To the visceral organs during parasympathetic.
So does that mean there is vasodilation to skeletal muscles, and for parasympathetic there is vasodilation of visceral organs, but vasoconstriction to skeletal muscle?

Sympathetic- skeletal muscle vasodilation. Vasoconstriction everywhere else.
Parasympathetic- vasodilation to visceral organs . And there really isn't too much vasoconstriction anywhere during parasympathetic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

Quick question on this:

So for the sympathetic nervous system I have increased blood flow to skeletal muscle, increase blood pressure and heart rate, but then in the kaplan book it's saying that vasoconstriction is for sympathetic and vasodilation is for parasympathetic. How is this possible is its supposed to increase blood blow- wouldn't that be dilation?

I've heard people say it's vasoconstriction but I'm still not sure why. Could someone help me with this? Thanks!

Generally, the sympathetic division prepares the body for stressful or emergency situations—fight or flight. Thus, it increases heart rate and the force of heart contractions and widens (dilates) the airways to make breathing easier. It causes the body to release stored energy. Muscular strength is increased. This division also causes palms to sweat, pupils to dilate, and hair to stand on end. It slows body processes that are less important in emergencies, such as digestion and urination. The parasympathetic division controls body process during ordinary situations. Generally, it conserves and restores. It slows the heart rate and decreases blood pressure. It stimulates the digestive tract to process food and eliminate wastes. Energy from the processed food is used to restore and build tissues.

Hope this helps...Dr. Romano