Syringe Pumps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Outrigger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm fortunate enough to work in an older facility with a supply of the Bard syringe pumps - the ones where you just crank the dial - easily the best syringe pump ever invented. Well, of course they don't make those anymore, having replaced them with far inferior versions that force you to waste time going through menus or have the syringe in the exact perfect position or the ones that make it a pain to reload the syringe because its stuck behind the screen so you can't attach a stopcock and it requires pressing a series of buttons to unload.

Well unfortunately we have to replace one and it is troublesome to find a working used version.

What have you found to be the least inferior to the old syringe pumps?

Members don't see this ad.

Medfusion makes a decent pump
medfusion-4000-perspective.png

Yeah, you do have to go through a library, but swapping out syringes is a breeze and you retain the ability to manually bolus very easily. Unlike the ones you mentioned with the a glass screen or worse, the ones with electronically controlled levers.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes I've used that one for years and it's great and fast to program. Ours was set up to not have to use drug library, but instead just enter dosing regimen (mcg/min or mg/min or weight based) and drug concentration and pt weight. Add a stopcock and can be refilled and reprogrammed in seconds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea that medfusion one is fine. We had those in residency along with the annoying alaris.

I prefer Alaris over Medfusion because they are easier to program. Both work pretty well at the end of the day.

Alaris constantly annoy me with "air-in-line" error messages even when you can't find one freaking bubble in the tubing..
Change the tubing when that happens. I don't know why the alarm is triggered when there is no obvious air in the line, but I have found that changing the tubing eliminates the problem nearly every time. The rep I asked also did not have an answer to this.

Sent from my SM-T700 using SDN mobile

BBI-8713030U.jpg
We've used the BBraun pumps for years - first for our OB epidural infusions and now in the OR. A little bulky but they work great.

Reactions: 1 user
Are syringe pumps used in adults anymore?

All the time for Remi, propofol, Precedex, CPB cocktails.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All the time for Remi, propofol, Precedex, CPB cocktails.

Quit using syringe pumps for those things when Bard pumps disappeared. The complexity of the ones I have available is absurd, not to mention the extra step of transferring solution into a syringe.

Change the tubing when that happens. I don't know why the alarm is triggered when there is no obvious air in the line, but I have found that changing the tubing eliminates the problem nearly every time. The rep I asked also did not have an answer to this.

Sent from my SM-T700 using SDN mobile
That is so wasteful and unnecessary. And bad for the environment.

Considering the environmental footprint of a hospital and all its red bag waste ... I just can't get too anxious about a bit of plastic tubing. :)

Anyway, wiping down the inside of the Alaris pumps with an alcohol pad often helps the spurious air-in-line alarms. The pumps accumulate crud like anything else.

Is this an example of sarcasm poorly coming through online? In my experience, less than one in fifty sets of tubing generates an 'air in line' message that cannot be fixed by tapping out microbubbles and running a bit more fluid through. Replacing that one set of tubing is hardly wasteful, or more environmentally damaging than not mixing neo and glyco in the same syringe.

Lovely thing we have here
I just used that as an example of something that is commonly done and generates very little waste. I draw them up in separate syringes, because I like to have a little more control over the heart rate response, but understand why a lot of people mix them, and don't take issue.

How much are those combo vials? We got suggamadex recently, and have largely switched, as the cost of a standard reversal dose was about the same for both. If that's cheaper and regularly available in the states, I'd like to bring that to our pharmacy committee.

Lovely thing we have here
I just used that as an example of something that is commonly done and generates very little waste. I draw them up in separate syringes, because I like to have a little more control over the heart rate response, but understand why a lot of people mix them, and don't take issue.

How much are those combo vials? We got suggamadex recently, and have largely switched, as the cost of a standard reversal dose was about the same for both. If that's cheaper and regularly available in the states, I'd like to bring that to our pharmacy committee.

Is this an example of sarcasm poorly coming through online? In my experience, less than one in fifty sets of tubing generates an 'air in line' message that cannot be fixed by tapping out microbubbles and running a bit more fluid through. Replacing that one set of tubing is hardly wasteful, or more environmentally damaging than not mixing neo and glyco in the same syringe.
Nope. Completely serious. Those things alarm a lot. We waste a lot in this country.

The Brauns are what I use. I can key in most of the library in a minute or two with syringe. Tend to use it in GI and sedation cases a lot.