Systems based learning???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So does that mean you learn everything about one system (anatomy, physio, pathophys, microbio, pharm...) before moving to the next?

Does it also mean that you have one professor teaching each organ and everything associated with it? Or is there a seperate prof. for physio, then another for pharm....etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it means you learn all that stuff (anatomy, physio, path etc) when you are going through the various systems in the body..like renal, cardiovascular, etc...

so if you are learning about renal..then you learn the anatomy, physio, path, etc ...focusing all on one system...then you move on to the next system and start over..

I am not in med school yet..so please someone correct me if im wrong

DrMikeyLu said:
I think it means you learn all that stuff (anatomy, physio, path etc) when you are going through the various systems in the body..like renal, cardiovascular, etc...

so if you are learning about renal..then you learn the anatomy, physio, path, etc ...focusing all on one system...then you move on to the next system and start over..

I am not in med school yet..so please someone correct me if im wrong
That's right. For example COMP uses the system based curriculum and we're in Neuro right now. It covers physiology, anatomy, pathology, pharmocoloy, neurology, clinical and micro of neuro... each course is taught by faculty of its respective department. And all subjects are covered in 1 test, but the system is covered over 3 exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
OnMyWayThere said:
That's right. For example COMP uses the system based curriculum and we're in Neuro right now. It covers physiology, anatomy, pathology, pharmocoloy, neurology, clinical and micro of neuro... each course is taught by faculty of its respective department. And all subjects are covered in 1 test, but the system is covered over 3 exams.

So are you taking one huge class or are you still taking sub classes? Like will you have 5 hrs of nephrology in a day? Or will you have 1 hr neph anatomy, 1hr neph pharm, 1 hr neph path.......etc?

NRAI2001 said:
So are you taking one huge class or are you still taking sub classes? Like will you have 5 hrs of nephrology in a day? Or will you have 1 hr neph anatomy, 1hr neph pharm, 1 hr neph path.......etc?
We'll usually have like 1 hour pharm, 1 hour path, 2 hour anatomy... something like that.

OnMyWayThere said:
We'll usually have like 1 hour pharm, 1 hour path, 2 hour anatomy... something like that.

How is OMM integrated into all this? Do you learn the OMM pertinent to the system you are learning?

NRAI2001 said:
How is OMM integrated into all this? Do you learn the OMM pertinent to the system you are learning?
I haven't noticed anything being integrated into systems as far as OMM goes. Neuro is our first system though - before this was all the core classes. We have OMM 3-4 hours a week but I haven't noticed any specific pattern.

We have a systems-based curriculum at PCOM. I like it a lot. The 2006 First Aid has also been reorganized into a systems-approach and will likely stay that way for years to come.

Yes, OMM topics are usually correlated with what we're learning in the basic sciences. For example, we just finished our Neurology/Psychiatry block so we learned Cranial Osteopathy alongside in OMM class.

Come to PCOM. You won't be disappointed!

I hear that MSU-COM also has it.

OSU-COM, however, has a spiral-based approach, which is more like a typical college curriculum. We also incorporate problem-based learning in the second year to complement the lecture-based learning.

Spiral-based means you start out with large amounts of information and then revisit that information later while incorporating new material.

i.e. Microbiology in the 1st year (learn organisms) --> Pharmacology in the 2nd year (treatment of organisms)

Our pathology course is basically like all of the courses from the first year lumped together with new information added.

System based seems like the way to go (at least for me). Does anyone know if the majority of schools are starting to switch to system base or is it all going to be dependent on the school? Thanks

USArmyDoc said:
System based seems like the way to go (at least for me). Does anyone know if the majority of schools are starting to switch to system base or is it all going to be dependent on the school? Thanks

I think that it's dependent on the school, just like it's dependent on the school whether or not to have a problem-based learning system or not. WVSOM has SBL and PBL (you choose), and LECOM is primarily PBL, I believe. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...I only spoke of schools that I remembered specifically.

Duchess said:
I think that it's dependent on the school, just like it's dependent on the school whether or not to have a problem-based learning system or not. WVSOM has SBL and PBL (you choose), and LECOM is primarily PBL, I believe. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...I only spoke of schools that I remembered specifically.

You are probably right.

KCUMB-COM is systems based for the entire curriculum as well.

OSUdoc08 said:
I hear that MSU-COM also has it.

OSU-COM, however, has a spiral-based approach, which is more like a typical college curriculum. We also incorporate problem-based learning in the second year to complement the lecture-based learning.

Spiral-based means you start out with large amounts of information and then revisit that information later while incorporating new material.

i.e. Microbiology in the 1st year (learn organisms) --> Pharmacology in the 2nd year (treatment of organisms)

Our pathology course is basically like all of the courses from the first year lumped together with new information added.

MSU-COM's curriculum is the traditional blocks. I only know because 2 of my friends will be starting in the fall.--OSUdoc--never believe drunks telling stories at the bar. :laugh: :D

TCOM is systems based, and I agree with the above explanation of systems based curriculum.

nothing else to add.

Move along, people.. nothing to see here....

jd

Raven Feather said:
MSU-COM's curriculum is the traditional blocks. I only know because 2 of my friends will be starting in the fall.--OSUdoc--never believe drunks telling stories at the bar. :laugh: :D

Actually, they were sober students I met at a convention. Of course I took them to a sports bar later on that night.

KCUMB has been completely systems-based for quite a while.

MSUCOM has traditional subject-based lectures for the first year where classes and curriculum is shared with CHM. There is a systems-based approach for the last half of physio, but the rest is subjects. So courses are separate like pharm, micro, path, neuro, etc.
The second year is systems-based lecture format with case-studies and a little PBL integrated into the courses.
If you're interested see: http://www.com.msu.edu/aa