Systems based VS. Subject based. Your ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeAnMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start really studying for Step I since school just got out. I've looked stuff over here and there as a systems apporach with First Aid 2006 but it seems like a subject based approach isn't a bad idea. Is anybody using subject based (i.e. study all physiology for 2 days in all systems, then move on to pharm, etc.)? Any pros and cons? Thanks :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing both: starting with subjects, then moving to systems as I integrate all previous learned knowledge with questions.

I ended up doing a mix as well- my intention was to start with Path but I ended up studying the physiology as well and sometimes even read over Pharm. Try to pick a method that you feel will work best but then don't force it if it's not working, studying physiology when you're scheduled to study path doesn't really mean very much when both are on the USMLE.

I'm doing subject-based. I like to cover subjects by book. For example, this week I've been doing RR biochem and the biochem in First Aid. Next week I'm doing BRS path and behavioral science. You just need to figure out what works best for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did subject based as well. Our school taught us systems based and I did my review subject based. I just wanted to hit it from a different angle, just like working out you can't just do bench presses all the time ya gotta mix it up with some dumbells and incline presses too.

I did subject based as well. Our school taught us systems based and I did my review subject based. I just wanted to hit it from a different angle, just like working out you can't just do bench presses all the time ya gotta mix it up with some dumbells and incline presses too.

I think this is a great point. My school teaches everything subject-based so I'm switching gears by integrating things differently via systems-based review. I think as long as you keep your mind active in your studying, either approach should work fine.

Double thumbs up for doing it whichever way your school did not. Mine was mostly subject based and I am really enjoying doing things systems based-it's really let me integrate things better (plus it divides up the monsters of Pharm and Micro so I am not being hit over the head with all those drugs at once).