Study time for step 3 based on previous step scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567891011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Just started studying for step 3 and hoping to take it by end of the month since I'm on a relatively easy rotation in my residency program. Based on my past step scores (264 step 1, 275 step 2), how long do I realistically need to study for step 3? My thought was to spend most of my prep time studying for the CCS section, since multiple choice in the past has been my strongsuit.

Members don't see this ad.

Just started studying for step 3 and hoping to take it by end of the month since I'm on a relatively easy rotation in my residency program. Based on my past step scores (264 step 1, 275 step 2), how long do I realistically need to study for step 3? My thought was to spend most of my prep time studying for the CCS section, since multiple choice in the past has been my strongsuit.

To be honest with you, I think you already know you will pass. It is smart of you to focus on the CCS section. It also depends on what you expect from Step 3- Pass or a great score. If it is to pass, I think you will only need about 1 week of preparation to pass( need time to be familiar with software). If your goal is to have a great score, you will need more than 1 week but less than 1 month. I am assuming you're a PGY1