T1/2N0 op cancer and neck dissection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray D. Ayshun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the data that informed the decision by the nccn to be +/- on elective neck dissection in t1/2n0 p16+ op cancer? Was surprised by this rec, or lack thereof.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way that would be allowed is if you need rt anyways based on the primary site in clinically node negative. This should be clarified.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't disagree. It's pretty clear, I think, on the guidelines, that p16- gets at least an ipsi dissection while it's optional in p16+. No adjuvant anything if no "adverse features.". Iow, the nccn recommends radical tonsillectomy alone for p16+ t1n0 tonsil cancer. None of us may agree, but I'm wondering why it says that.

1599948884874.png

1599948935751.png

That would be a huge mistake not to address the neck for a T2 tumor. Not aware of any data to support it.

Reactions: 3 users
Seems like an oversight. I agree with others in saying the neck needs to be evaluated in every OPhx patient getting surgery.

Seems like an oversight. I agree with others in saying the neck needs to be evaluated in every OPhx patient getting surgery.
Presuming they get to me/us, the neck will be addressed. Otoh, there will be a lot of nononcologic ents out there just removing the primary with the backing of the nccn. Perhaps the argument is the necks were addressed with a pet