Tablet vs Normal Laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have to make a decision in the next week as to whether to get a normal laptop or get a Tablet. I am going with Lenovo and they have a great price on both. Can anyone who has a tablet, or has used a tablet in the past, give me the pros and cons of them? I would prefer people that have used them within the past year, since the technology of tablets has improved immensely in the past couple years.
Thank you so much for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

one of my friend is always complaining problems of his thinkpad tablet. I think it was x40 based tablet.

Ok, so I have to make a decision in the next week as to whether to get a normal laptop or get a Tablet. I am going with Lenovo and they have a great price on both. Can anyone who has a tablet, or has used a tablet in the past, give me the pros and cons of them? I would prefer people that have used them within the past year, since the technology of tablets has improved immensely in the past couple years.

I was told that if you are going to get a tablet, get one with viacom technology which instead of relying on the pressure of a stylus, the table writes with a magnetic pen which is independent of the amount of pressure you apply. This technology costs more. On the other hand, is an electronic writing tablet really worth the cost over writing on paper?

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the decision in my opinion depends on how you like to study. If you are the type that likes to study pretty much anywhere and takes advantge of any spare time you have (like walking from classes to your car, while walking the dog, or if with another perosn who is driving, studying while traveling somewhere) and not have to lug around all your notes, then getting tablet is great. Having all your notes stored on the labtop is great in my opinion. I take my laptop with me most places and if I feel I need to look something up while I am thinking about a certain class or I want to take advantage of a little time to study, then I just pull out the computer and open up the PPT with my notes attached and study. The down side is that the notes aren't as nice looking as if you took them by pencil or pen on paper. Plus, it isn't as easy to write small if you like to take lots of notes with little room for notes. The tablet will only alow you to take notes at a certain speed. If you can write quicker than it can process, then you are out of luck with the tablet.

Do you just use the webcam on your laptop. In other words, do you just aim your screen towards the professor? How does that work? Thanks.

If you like to study using standard paper notes, then there really isn't an advantage of purchasing the tablet unless you just want to take notes that way. You can take notes better and quicker using a pencil or pen than if you are using the little wand of the tablet. You are going to print off the PPTs eventually (if you like to studywith paper notes), so you might as well print them off before class and take notes on paper. The only benefit I can think of right now is that if you forget your notes or the prof hasn't places the notes on Blackboard before you leave the house in the morning, you would have the tablet to take notes on if you desired

I don't have a tablet (which I only found out about them after classes started and I already have a standard laptop.) I purchased a think pad that plugs into the computer and acts like a tablet, but you write on the thinkpad instead of the screen. Works fine for me. For around $100, I was able to have the ability to write as if it were a talet laptop. Packing around that thinkpad clutters up my backpack a little more, but well worth the price I paid.

Since we are on the topic of computers, one thing I found extremely helpful this year was that I purchased a web cam and I video record most lectures. I don't sit down and watch all the lectures, but there are times where you want a re-explanation of what prof said or you just missed the notes because you were asleep. With the video cam pointed at the screen, you can see what PPT slide the prof is talking about. In a matter of seconds, you can scroll to the part of the lecture where you need an explanation. You may think, you can review lectures with a hand held voice recorder, but the voice recorder takes longer to locate exactly where you need explanation and also you cannot see where the prof is pointing to if there is a picture he is using his laser pointer on. Just a side note for anyne who cares.

Do you just use the webcam on your laptop to record? So you just aim the screen of the laptop towards the professor? How does that work? Thanks.

A lot of the decision in my opinion depends on how you like to study. If you are the type that likes to study pretty much anywhere and takes advantge of any spare time you have (like walking from classes to your car, while walking the dog, or if with another perosn who is driving, studying while traveling somewhere) and not have to lug around all your notes, then getting tablet is great. Having all your notes stored on the labtop is great in my opinion. I take my laptop with me most places and if I feel I need to look something up while I am thinking about a certain class or I want to take advantage of a little time to study, then I just pull out the computer and open up the PPT with my notes attached and study. The down side is that the notes aren't as nice looking as if you took them by pencil or pen on paper. Plus, it isn't as easy to write small if you like to take lots of notes with little room for notes. The tablet will only alow you to take notes at a certain speed. If you can write quicker than it can process, then you are out of luck with the tablet.

If you like to study using standard paper notes, then there really isn't an advantage of purchasing the tablet unless you just want to take notes that way. You can take notes better and quicker using a pencil or pen than if you are using the little wand of the tablet. You are going to print off the PPTs eventually (if you like to studywith paper notes), so you might as well print them off before class and take notes on paper. The only benefit I can think of right now is that if you forget your notes or the prof hasn't places the notes on Blackboard before you leave the house in the morning, you would have the tablet to take notes on if you desired

I don't have a tablet (which I only found out about them after classes started and I already have a standard laptop.) I purchased a think pad that plugs into the computer and acts like a tablet, but you write on the thinkpad instead of the screen. Works fine for me. For around $100, I was able to have the ability to write as if it were a talet laptop. Packing around that thinkpad clutters up my backpack a little more, but well worth the price I paid.

Since we are on the topic of computers, one thing I found extremely helpful this year was that I purchased a web cam and I video record most lectures. I don't sit down and watch all the lectures, but there are times where you want a re-explanation of what prof said or you just missed the notes because you were asleep. With the video cam pointed at the screen, you can see what PPT slide the prof is talking about. In a matter of seconds, you can scroll to the part of the lecture where you need an explanation. You may think, you can review lectures with a hand held voice recorder, but the voice recorder takes longer to locate exactly where you need explanation and also you cannot see where the prof is pointing to if there is a picture he is using his laser pointer on. Just a side note for anyne who cares.

wow, what a great help. Thank you. And the help about the webcam was great to. Does it take a lot of memory or slow your computer down to store all those lectures on video? (excuse my lack of pc knowledge if this is a dumb question) thanks

Do you just use the webcam on your laptop to record? So you just aim the screen of the laptop towards the professor? How does that work? Thanks.

I would like to know the answer to this too. I have only seen laptops with the built-in webcam facing toward the user. Does anybody know of one that faces away from the user so that you can record a lecture?

Thanks. Do you also use a separate voice recorder, or do you attach a microphone to your laptop and record? Also, do you need special software to be able to record to your laptop?

I found that ASUS and Acer both make laptops with built-in, swivel webcams. They also have Santa Rosa models with that type of webcam. That would be sweet for recording lectures!

I been a tablet user for 3+ yrs ..I personally cant go back to normal laptops... wacom based tablets dont need a battery for their pens and they are pressure sensitive ....it has helped me alot because i have all my notes for all my classes on it...You can take notes on your power point slides and save them...and there is no way new tablets will lag (basically u cant write faster than it can process)...down side is u need to take regular backups of ur notes which microsoft has made it built into the software...for example OneNote (Word for notetaking) has backup built into it....if u gonna get one smaller the better, it might cost a bit more but at the end it it will be worth it...I persoanlly have a toshiba m200 and Im very happy, i know few people that have the M200 and Fujitsu and they are all happy and both companys make solid tablets...good luck hope it helped a bit

Our class was required to purchase tablets (HP tc4400). If I need to use the tablet function, it's great. However, the actual times when I use the tablet form is not worth it. Most of the time we'll be typing the notes anyways because it's so much faster. Because the tablets have to have a small screen and because our whole curriculum is electronic (as in textbooks as well), it's a bitch to study with and so most people just buy textbooks anyways.

I found that ASUS and Acer both make laptops with built-in, swivel webcams. They also have Santa Rosa models with that type of webcam. That would be sweet for recording lectures!

But then you have to turn your laptop around and face it towards your instructor to use the webcam.

Would professors be happy of people recording them [some can be bitchy really]? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a new dell inspiron 1525 and it come w/ a built in webcam which is very clear. Since it faces the user, i would think it would be weird to turn it around to face the professor....lol... however, i have a cousin who has software on his laptop (not sure what its called) where he can record lectures and store them. The one thing I'm looking for (which would be hard to find) is a software that will record and convert the recordings to text. I think that would be awesome but I'm not sure if they are this advanced.

I just got a new dell inspiron 1525 and it come w/ a built in webcam which is very clear. Since it faces the user, i would think it would be weird to turn it around to face the professor....lol... however, i have a cousin who has software on his laptop (not sure what its called) where he can record lectures and store them. The one thing I'm looking for (which would be hard to find) is a software that will record and convert the recordings to text. I think that would be awesome but I'm not sure if they are this advanced.

Have you ever done an actual recording? You would have to be really close as static becomes worse as you move farther away....

i haven't done one neither was i talking about personal experience. i don't know how close my cousin sits in class but he has managed to clearly record his lectures.

Tablets are awesome! I have a Fujitsu T2010, and it rocks. Here's a mini-review:

Pros:
Wacom-based, so very high quality pen output
Very light, only 3.5 lbs.
Battery life around 5-6 hours.
Price, one of the cheapest wacom pen tablets out there (I got mine for $1500)

Cons:
Built for minimal power consumption, so the processor, HD and RAM are underpowered. If you plan on keeping Vista, you need to get another 2GB of RAM.
Careful with the screen, it scratches easily

^ how much did it cost?

Tablets are awesome! I have a Fujitsu T2010, and it rocks. Here's a mini-review:

Pros:
Wacom-based, so very high quality pen output
Very light, only 3.5 lbs.
Battery life around 5-6 hours.
Price, one of the cheapest wacom pen tablets out there (I got mine for $1500)

Cons:
Built for minimal power consumption, so the processor, HD and RAM are underpowered. If you plan on keeping Vista, you need to get another 2GB of RAM.
Careful with the screen, it scratches easily
@panzer look at the bolded text

TABLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im doing Med School classes right now and I always wish i had a tablet when sitting in class... You save tons of time and money wasted on printing stuff for class. Plus, you won't have to lug around a binders and binders of notes... The Tablet is most def. the best choice... Just get a reliable one... Oh and remember to get an external portable HD to back everything up...

just do it old school. get a typewriter. you dont have to worry about battery power.

just do it old school. get a typewriter. you dont have to worry about battery power.

Hahaha Don't listen to Mike, he's in class with me and he fantasizes of about tablets more than me... Sometimes he fakes writing on his XPS and pretends its a tablet... its kind of weird....

Hahaha Don't listen to Mike, he's in class with me and he fantasizes of about tablets more than me... Sometimes he fakes writing on his XPS and pretends its a tablet... its kind of weird....

I actually do fantasize about tablets wearing apple bottom jeans and boots with the fur.

Adding to AndyK's comment, If you really want a good tablet, 1500 is not bad. The HP tablets are okay (under $1000) but they're not as durable as other ones like lenovo and fujitsu.

I just bought the Lenovo X61 tablet about 3 weeks ago, 3 gigs of ram 160 gig 7200 rpm hdd, core 2 duo, vista ultimate, multiview multi touch screen. 2 8cell batteries etc....
and the verdict is... I LOVE IT!!! I will NEVER own another computer that isn't a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet so long as I live!!! Good choice on only getting the Lenovo, make sure you take advantage of the 4 year on site warrenty and accidental damage. My Brother has had dozens of lenovo's and he has hardly needed that warrenty, but when it does break they come THAT DAY to fix it... WORTH EVERY FRIGGIN' PENNY!! btw total cost was $2767

I was told that if you are going to get a tablet, get one with viacom technology which instead of relying on the pressure of a stylus, the table writes with a magnetic pen which is independent of the amount of pressure you apply. This technology costs more. On the other hand, is an electronic writing tablet really worth the cost over writing on paper?
lenovo's new X61 is that way now... magnetic or whatever, not pressure like the HP's. I have a buddy with an HP and it sucks something fierce, it helped me with my decision, I'll tell you that much.

I actually do fantasize about tablets wearing apple bottom jeans and boots with the fur.

Adding to AndyK's comment, If you really want a good tablet, 1500 is not bad. The HP tablets are okay (under $1000) but they're not as durable as other ones like lenovo and fujitsu.
just for the record the lenovo's PEN is super light, no batteries needed and you barely touch the screen to write on it. I wanted to be fast so the 7200 rpm hard drive was a MUST for me along with the RAM, but the bigger, faster hard drive and RAM add up fast. Decked out they are around $3000 stripped about $1500. Remember the LENOVO's are the best computers for like 15 years running for a REASON. If you are going to go with any laptop I suggest a Think pad (tablet or not) and get the 4 year on site warrenty!! Good luck all.

i'm wanting to buy another macbook when i get to dental school, but i admit i've been building and rebuilding a dell xps on their website and it looks pretty sexy. the thought of going back to windows makes me dry heave, but if i do, has anyone had any troubles with the dell xps?? i think model 1330? i've looked at lenovo a little but never used one. i highly doubt i'll get a tablet, as i don't really see the need. what exactly is the rationale for getting a tablet? not being able to type fast? i'm not hatin', just curious.

i'm wanting to buy another macbook when i get to dental school, but i admit i've been building and rebuilding a dell xps on their website and it looks pretty sexy. the thought of going back to windows makes me dry heave, but if i do, has anyone had any troubles with the dell xps?? i think model 1330? i've looked at lenovo a little but never used one. i highly doubt i'll get a tablet, as i don't really see the need. what exactly is the rationale for getting a tablet? not being able to type fast? i'm not hatin', just curious.

i totally agree, xps is sexxy. how do you like yours mike?

i totally agree, xps is sexxy. how do you like yours mike?
sexy indeed, especially cuz you can get it with 4 gigs of RAM and 300+gig hard drive, and other fun upgrades for a lot less than a similarly equipped mac. i just wish i could run Mac OSX instead of vista.

i looked into tablets a lil more. they look pretty cool, i just don't think i want to justify paying an extra 1K for those pretty bells & whistles. i KNOW the wife won't want to. lol. i did have an instructor that used a tablet 2 years ago and it was an EXCELLENT tool for his Anatomy and Physiology lectures. he would pull up images from the text/internet and draw on them and manipulate them the way he wanted and it was a great way to learn.

i think laptops are fine. no need for a tablet, unless you already own one and are used to it.

xps looks nice:thumbup:

i own an hp, and it does the job. dropped it on concrete once, and the screen cracked from the top, but it's still working perfectly fine. cost me 750 bucks only:D

what do you guys think of the gateway tablet?

I wouldn't touch a gateway with a ten foot pole! I am NOT a gateway fan. No luck with them so far.
i will never own a gateway either. i don't know anyone with anything good to say about them.

cheap.

i will never own a gateway either. i don't know anyone with anything good to say about them.

cheap.
you'll get what you pay for, that goes for anything. If you want great no hassle laptop... get the Lenovo think pad!!

if you want kids, dont get an xps!!! I have one and they're good but theyre gaming computers. They do get hot so I have to carry an antec fan to keep me fertile.

if you want kids, dont get an xps!!! I have one and they're good but theyre gaming computers. They do get hot so I have to carry an antec fan to keep me fertile.
i'm talking about the thin/light/portable xps, not the 15"-17" monsters.

I have a cousin who has software on his laptop (not sure what its called) where he can record lectures and store them. The one thing I'm looking for (which would be hard to find) is a software that will record and convert the recordings to text. I think that would be awesome but I'm not sure if they are this advanced.

Try Microsoft OneNote 2007. I use it for just organizing my notes because it creates tabs and autosaves, but it has a search function that will search within the recorded audio saved via OneNote depending on its clarity. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/default.aspx

I took a wine tasting class last semester with a deaf girl. She had a program and a receiver that would save our entire lecture on her laptop as speech to text. It would even generate a complicated word like Bordeaux incorrectly but phonetically, and then re-write it as correctly as possible (boar-dough ---> bordeaux). I can't tell you what it was, but I know that the professor was required to wear a microphone transmitter.

edit: found this article http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138262-c,voicerecognition/article.html

gaming computers, thats the only reason why i was looking at gateway. they are one of the few tablets with a dedicated graphic card. but if gateway sucks i should stay away from it too.

Try Microsoft OneNote 2007. I use it for just organizing my notes because it creates tabs and autosaves, but it has a search function that will search within the recorded audio saved via OneNote depending on its clarity. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/default.aspx

I took a wine tasting class last semester with a deaf girl. She had a program and a receiver that would save our entire lecture on her laptop as speech to text. It would even generate a complicated word like Bordeaux incorrectly but phonetically, and then re-write it as correctly as possible (boar-dough ---> bordeaux). I can't tell you what it was, but I know that the professor was required to wear a microphone transmitter.

edit: found this article http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138262-c,voicerecognition/article.html

thanks for the info!

gaming computers, thats the only reason why i was looking at gateway. they are one of the few tablets with a dedicated graphic card. but if gateway sucks i should stay away from it too.
yes the suck something fierce. If you want a gaming computer get a desktop too. What is $500 more if you drop 2500 on a laptop... right?