1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Taboo topics for the written section

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by JDbb, Aug 19, 2011.

1. JDbb

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are there any taboo topics that should not be used as examples in the written section? EK says not to use controversial topics like abortion, but I think there would be several cases where that topic would be useful to discuss

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. macsta

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    beastiality

4. mohad

Pre-Medical
    I've heard abortion and religion should be avoided.

5. NinjaMed

2+ Year Member

It is more a matter of how you present the example that will determine if it will be taboo or not and not merely the nature of the example. In other words, if you are politically incorrect, unreasonable with your explanation or extremely opionated with your example, your treatment will be considered taboo. Try to be politically correct with your example if it happens to be controversial and keep level-headed when explaining your view and arguing your points.

6. PhaseShift11

As long as you add in phrases like "some would argue that" or "Some people believe" I think you should be okay. Compared to "Consider the fact that abortion is bad and kills humans". You can see how the idea might be taboo, but as NinjaMed said, the way you approach it can make it acceptable.

7. gettheleadout

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would avoid making any arguments in favor of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc., though if you were to take a politically correct stance on them, I would think even controversial topics such as these could be appropriate.