Taboo topics for the written section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDbb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any taboo topics that should not be used as examples in the written section? EK says not to use controversial topics like abortion, but I think there would be several cases where that topic would be useful to discuss

Members don't see this ad.

It is more a matter of how you present the example that will determine if it will be taboo or not and not merely the nature of the example. In other words, if you are politically incorrect, unreasonable with your explanation or extremely opionated with your example, your treatment will be considered taboo. Try to be politically correct with your example if it happens to be controversial and keep level-headed when explaining your view and arguing your points.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you add in phrases like "some would argue that" or "Some people believe" I think you should be okay. Compared to "Consider the fact that abortion is bad and kills humans". You can see how the idea might be taboo, but as NinjaMed said, the way you approach it can make it acceptable.

I would avoid making any arguments in favor of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc., though if you were to take a politically correct stance on them, I would think even controversial topics such as these could be appropriate.