Tackling Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken biochem yet because Orgo II prereq

(tangential gripe: this new biochem mcat addition is almost unfair. for students trying to get into med school immediately after a 4 yr traditional graduation, its best to take mcat over summer after yr 2 where u have long vacation to study, since the next summer is reserved for applications. but that leaves no time to take biochem class since prereqs involve chronologically taking 1 year chem in yr 1, 1 year orgo in yr 2, and finally u can take biochem - but now you have to study for mcat. what up with that?)

anyway what's the best way to tackle biochem for 2015 mcat? Read lehinger's whole 1000 page textbook? is the biochem in the EK review books enough? i bought the 2013 TBR set - will there be any biochem at all on it?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken biochem yet because Orgo II prereq

(tangential gripe: this new biochem mcat addition is almost unfair. for students trying to get into med school immediately after a 4 yr traditional graduation, its best to take mcat over summer after yr 2 where u have long vacation to study, since the next summer is reserved for applications. but that leaves no time to take biochem class since prereqs involve chronologically taking 1 year chem in yr 1, 1 year orgo in yr 2, and finally u can take biochem - but now you have to study for mcat. what up with that?)

anyway what's the best way to tackle biochem for 2015 mcat? Read lehinger's whole 1000 page textbook? is the biochem in the EK review books enough? i bought the 2013 TBR set - will there be any biochem at all on it?

TBR has all the biochem in their Biology II book, but it is very detailed. They cover the minutiae of pathways, enzymes, etc. that you may not need to know for the actual exam. Though I am also using this book, the challenging part for me is knowing what to actually study and what to filter out. I've been supplementing with EK and Khan to try to focus on the most important stuff. EK itself is not enough for biochem.

Reactions: 1 user
TBR has all the biochem in their Biology II book, but it is very detailed. They cover the minutiae of pathways, enzymes, etc. that you may not need to know for the actual exam. Though I am also using this book, the challenging part for me is knowing what to actually study and what to filter out. I've been supplementing with EK and Khan to try to focus on the most important stuff. EK itself is not enough for biochem.
I am using it too, however only using it for passages and discretes along with content from Kaplan Biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is in the 2011 version of the biology book as well as well?

Honestly I think A firm understanding of glycolysis, enzyme kinetics, TCA, cell respiration, amino acids/sugars and anabolism/catabolism will get you 95% of what you need for the MCAT and then some. You don't need to take a class to learn these topics. Khan+EK is probably sufficient