The Berkeley Review - Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maikelm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just realized that The Berkeley Review (TBR) does not have a book specifically dedicate for biochemistry. Has anyone encountered any issues with this? Or is the biochemistry information integrated in some of the biology and organic chemistry books?

Thanks
Maikel

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I just realized that The Berkeley Review (TBR) does not have a book specifically dedicate for biochemistry. Has anyone encountered any issues with this? Or is the biochemistry information integrated in some of the biology and organic chemistry books?

Thanks
Maikel
This is absolutely not an issue. Biochem is covered in their Biology Part II book!

Reactions: 1 user
And in their Ochem II book. It was kinda spread out between those two books (Biology and Ochem).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Our philosophy was too incorporate the parts of biochemistry likely to be seen on the C/P section in the organic chemistry book. You will encounter text-based review and practice passages on structure and reactivity in the carbonyl chapter, lipid chapter, carbohydrate chapter, and amine and amino acids chapter. You will also encounter a couple lab experiments on sequencing in that book. You will encounter isoelectric points in both our general chemistry and biology books. The parts of biochemistry that have to do with pathways and enzyme behavior (such as Lineweaver-Burke plots and enzyme kinetics) appear in chapters 7 and 8 of our biology book. We aimed to keep the B/B related biochemistry in our biology books. You will even encounter some biochemistry in the physics books with passages on electrophoresis.

Our basic philosophy is to make sure to present the fundamentals in the appropriate chapter readings, but that the passages make you apply aspects of biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics to biochemistry. This is why biochemistry questions appear in all four of our science books.

Reactions: 1 user
Our philosophy was too incorporate the parts of biochemistry likely to be seen on the C/P section in the organic chemistry book. You will encounter text-based review and practice passages on structure and reactivity in the carbonyl chapter, lipid chapter, carbohydrate chapter, and amine and amino acids chapter. You will also encounter a couple lab experiments on sequencing in that book. You will encounter isoelectric points in both our general chemistry and biology books. The parts of biochemistry that have to do with pathways and enzyme behavior (such as Lineweaver-Burke plots and enzyme kinetics) appear in chapters 7 and 8 of our biology book. We aimed to keep the B/B related biochemistry in our biology books. You will even encounter some biochemistry in the physics books with passages on electrophoresis.

Our basic philosophy is to make sure to present the fundamentals in the appropriate chapter readings, but that the passages make you apply aspects of biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics to biochemistry. This is why biochemistry questions appear in all four of our science books.
I personally found that to be very frustrating and challenging because I wanted to follow along in TBR while taking biochemistry. I ended up trashing that idea.

Thank you for clarifying! I appreciate it!

Maikel