tactics for dealing with Inference and Assumption questions on Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSHIFT

to victory
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm using Kaplan verbal, any good tactics for dealing with Assumptions to arguments and Author inferences?

I'm a pretty creative person, so these questions sometimes get the better of me.

Members don't see this ad.

The hardest thing about these types of questions is that you must always, always only use what is given to you in the passage. Sometimes you may have a personal feeling about the passage you are reading and that can influence your answer choices. The inference and assumptions questions are often structured to exploit that fact. In addition, these questions are usually structured that you have to use two specific facts or opinions listed in the passage to arrive at a logical answer.

The easiest way to get a handle of these types of questions is to try and take the author's perspective and ask, "What is the most logical progression given what the author has written/knows?"

Put yourself in their shoes and try to make their opinions your own for just a minute, and then look through the passage for clues as to what the most logical answer is.

The hardest thing about these types of questions is that you must always, always only use what is given to you in the passage. Sometimes you may have a personal feeling about the passage you are reading and that can influence your answer choices.
Yes, I hate when that happens. It's definitely better, in these cases, to be clueless about the subject matter. This has happened to me in the literature, social and natural sciences sections, where I've had teacher's who have refuted items in the passages.
The only redeeming quality is that there's often questions asking what data or facts would weaken the author's argument. Those questions are easy if you happen to be familiar with the opposing viewpoint.