tail coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamqueen

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been interested in OB/GYN as a field for awhile now, but one of the biggest things that is worrying me is all that I've heard about the cost of tail coverage. I heard one doc's story that to leave a practice after 7 years in it was going to cost her $150,000 in tail coverage. This is like paying for medical school again. :scared:

What is the reality on this situation for the rest of you? How do you plan to deal with tail coverage?

Another consistent viewpoint is the widely-held notion that OB's are out to c-section all their patients so they can make a dinner reservation or go to a football game. I can't tell you how often I've heard this in the general public (Internet) on message boards for pregnant people. I'm trying to get an idea of what the public thinks of OB's, and that is exactly it. That we are out to drug every patient against their will, c-section them when it is isn't necessary, prevent them from doing a VBAC for the fourth time even though their town midwife swears it is the "more natural way" etc. etc. You get my drift. That OB's are basically cold, money-hungry (ha), selfish people who don't put the "holistic" needs of the woman first. Barf, but how do you deal with this or do you simply tune it out?

I guess I want to hear about the downsides to your practice as an OB and how you deal with the financial solvency of being in a practice that seems to get the short end of the stick in medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Bueller?

I KNOW those of you applying for OB this year have thought about these things...would really like to know your thoughts!