• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

jelee915

7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Physical Therapy Student
I havent taken prereqs yet but just finishing intro classes.
I HAVE 3 Ws so far and currently taking precalc but seems like im going to fail it. Should i take another W or take the F?

the "w".

A f is a huge gpa torpedo. You can damage control a few "W's." but isn't it too late to withdraw?

About the Ads

Stumpyman

7+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kidding? Take the W! When I clicked on this thread I thought I was about to read "8-12" Ws so far. 3 isn't ALL that much, and pre calc isn't even a pre req (or even a degree requirement!), so it shouldn't hurt all that much.

Thego2guy

7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Get the heck out of there and onto khanacademy.org.

Did I give you that link on your thread, pertaining to calc 3?

EDIT: Nevermind, that was someone else last night. I gave you bio elective advice. Sorry !

BurntFlower

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm surprised they let you withdraw this late. Consider yourself lucky.

Take the W and don't look back.

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
Apr 17, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
3 Ws already and haven't taken the prereqs yet? OP, everything alright in your neck of the woods? Best of luck to you! Please don't hesitate to PM me if you want more advice, I thought I was screwed with using my allotted Ws...

I without a doubt concur with every single person here, take the W.

Last edited:
About the Ads

Chip Chipperson

Jan 2, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
This isn't even debatable - take the W!

A crystal meth addict could get an F in pre-calc. They mean you're a F**-up, and like the other guy said, they're a "GPA torpedo".

A W isn't good, but at least it's ambiguous.

Chip Chipperson

Jan 2, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
My professor in fall freshman year of calc advised new students to make sure to drop the class if they're going to fail. He said every year in fall, the new batch of students in his class always has a sizable percentage of people who simply "disappear," leaving him with no choice but to give them F's. I am sure that's going to haunt them later in their college career - if there is a later.

Sabio23

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
As everyone else has said, take the W. I'd rather have 4 W's than a .5 gpa drop (exaggerating). Just be sure to do better next time if you have to take that class again.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
Take the F. Judging by your ability to use common sense, the sooner we weed you out of the premed world, the better.

About the Ads

I'm actually doubting OP can withdraw this late. It defies every policy i've ever heard of... finals are in 2-3 weeks for most schools on semesters.

let us know OP.

Stumpyman

7+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
I'm actually doubting OP can withdraw this late. It defies every policy i've ever heard of... finals are in 2-3 weeks for most schools on semesters.

let us know OP.

You'd be surprised. There are some schools that let you withdraw without a W until about 60% of the semester is over. After that, you have to get a W.

Pretty crazy, but some schools do have forgiving policies like that.

SeminoleVesicle

MS4
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Take the F. Judging by your ability to use common sense, the sooner we weed you out of the premed world, the better.

Quite the statement considering your own lofty GPA. Your haughty attitude and small penis are exactly what the premed world doesn't need. Try being supportive for once.

OP, take the W.

EBTrailRunner

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

let us know OP.

At my school, you could drop a non-impacted course as late as the week before finals. Crazy, I know.

Neurosis

Jul 29, 2011
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Can you take a W and just stay in/audit the rest of the class? This may give you a heads start for your next attempt.
is this really smart? Chances are if you're failing the class you weren't getting it, and 2-3 weeks of auditing the class won't do you any good either. What I would do is go backwards, take an easier math class and try and build up my math foundation. If you were getting F's in Pre-Calc you were either being incredibly lazy or you weren't prepared for the rigor of the class.

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Definitely take the W.

Also, I highly suggest you re-access your study habits. TriagePremed's post was uncalled for, but there is something to consider. You need to be able to handle the rigor of college and later, med school.

Make sure you figure out why you are failing Precalculus (a high school subject too) and see how you can improve your grade. Perhaps talking with your professor or seeking tutoring services.

Good luck.

littlealex

little tiny alex
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
There is literally no situation where you should take an F before a W. Even if you already have 30 W's, I would still take a W before an F.

Ashley1989

Apr 7, 2012
Hello, cold
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
is this really smart? Chances are if you're failing the class you weren't getting it, and 2-3 weeks of auditing the class won't do you any good either. What I would do is go backwards, take an easier math class and try and build up my math foundation. If you were getting F's in Pre-Calc you were either being incredibly lazy or you weren't prepared for the rigor of the class.

Why is the OP failing? Was it because they didn't understand the material or because they didn't invest the time? The OP said they have only taken intro classes and have 3 Ws. It's easy to get into the habit of withdrawing when times get tough, and not seeing the class through while fighting for a better grade. I would withdraw it but see it through anyways and continue to work at it regardless. Go get a tutor, study hard, study even harder for the final especially if its cumulative as if you were actually going to take it. The OP said they're not taking any science classes with it, so it seems ok to invest the time. Just my opinion.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.