Take a year off to do neuroscience research and teach at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowboy DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you do it? Obviously it would help set you apart from the crowd, how much i dont know. I'm just wondering if you guys think it would improve an application so dramatically that it would be worth a year of your life.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have an interest in the research topic and if you like to teach, go for it. If you just want to do it to polish your CV, it will be as phony as all these pre-med volunteers running around in the hospital.

f_w said:
If you have an interest in the research topic and if you like to teach, go for it. If you just want to do it to polish your CV, it will be as phony as all these pre-med volunteers running around in the hospital.
Mostly not true. Research can be an important and distinguishing feature of your application. Whether or not you are doing it to polish your CV, it will be a major plus on your interview day if you can, for a few minutes, speak intelligently and excitedly about your research.

CowboyDO, whether or not it is worth a year of your life is completely up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is great and it definitely helps to get interviews and it is a great subject to talk about during interviews. But if you don't like it and you are in it just for the CV, you will hate every minute of it (and you interviewers will notice that your heart wasn't in it and see through the charade).

I did neuroimaging research before I got into radiology, but that was before I ever decided to go into radiology. It certainly helped me to get where I am now. It also was the best time of my life, fun work, a couple of pubs and a self-controlled schedule. Wouldn't want to miss it.

Thanks, you guys make good points. If i did it, it wouldnt be just to boost my CV, I think I would enjoy it as well. I'm just really itching to graduate and start already. So for me it all comes down to that. Your right though I guess only i can answer that question. Thanks for the help though.

Research is always a good thing to have, but there is no garantee that the neuroscience fellowship at NYCOM will help you get into rads. I'm not sure what type of work Dr. Halas and his team are doing now, but if you somehow find something applicable to imaging, it might be worth it.

Actually, the anatomy fellowship is much more applicable to radiology. As you are probably aware, two anatomy fellows matched into allopathic radiology programs last year.

I agree with the feeling that, whatever you decide to do, it should be because you enjoy it, not because you think it will appeal to a radiology PD.