Take Algebra/Trig in prep for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UltimateHombre

Doc Holliday D.D.S.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i took Calc 1 about 3 years ago and haven't taken a lick of math since. I have considering the QR is usually one of peoples weakest sections, do you think it would be wise to take a algebra/trig class for P/F, just for prep or would self study be sufficient enough?! Thoughts?!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a tip about the QR that has made my life easier. If you can master the word problems, you will be in great shape since they are a favorite on the DAT. I picked up the Algebra I CliffsNotes (a small book) from the library and there is a section with all of the types of word problems I've found in practice tests i.e.: compound interest, rate problems, age, mixtures, etc. They are easier here than on the DAT, but if you know how to set them up, time will be on your side during the actual test.

I'm also using some of the Dummies guides for Trig and Algebra and they seem to cut right to the chase for what the DAT covers.

If you don't remember anything, then a class would help. At this point I feel comfortable brushing up even though I haven't taken math class for about 10 years.

No that is not going to help much. There is no algebra and very little trig in the QR. Practice doing word problems in the DAT destroyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tip friends... ya i think i am gonna try the cliff notes and dat destroyer from there and see what happens!! If i fail miserably i might take a class....

There is no need to take a class. You can simply sit yourself down with Kaplan's BB and work through the topics and understand the fundamentals. After that, work on practice problems in your Destroyer. If there are topics that you didn't cover, use the internet and math books as secondary resources. The most important part is to practice. The more you practice the more efficient you will become on test day.