Take both COMLEX step 2 and USMLE step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanYing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an OMSIII and want to go into Internal Medicine. I'm thinking about opting out of the osteopathic match and only doing the allopathic match because I want to get my residency in the San Francisco area where there are only allopathic Internal Medicine residencies. Here are my scores:

COMLEX Step 1: 597
USMLE Step 1: 233

I initially was going to take both Step 2 exams, but my classmates tell me that it may not be necessary to take the USMLE step 2 when applying to allopathic residencies. They advised me to not "risk" taking step 2 as it can only hurt me unless I get an average score or a really good score. But won't it hurt my chances if I don't take it? Can anyone shed some light on the issue? Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Take it. If they want it, you'll have it done. If they don't require it, they'll see it as something you did to go the extra mile as an applicant. Step 2 is generally considered easier than Step 1 and most of what you study covers both. Study for the USMLE, review OMT, and do practice questions to get familiar with each exam. Questions, as you probably remember from step/level 1, are very different between the two tests.

Also, don't take the Step 2 CS. Just take COMLEX PE.

Take both. Just try to score at or above your step 1, but the fact that you have taken and done at least avg on step 2 will reflect well on you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you prep for it like you did for Step 1, you'll be fine. Just do it.

For IM in CA, I would take step 2.

If it was Psych/FP in CA, or IM in South Dakota I'd say Comlex 2 would be enough

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for the great advice! I have decided to take both!