take gen. chem over.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhernandez4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have all A's in my pre-med. pre-recs except for gen. chem. The first two quarters I slacked off and got B's. If I had time to take these over, which I might, would it be worth it to get my grades up to A's.

Members don't see this ad.

No. From what I've gathered on this forum when you retake a course the school averages it. So if you get an A that's a 4.0, get a B that's a 3.0. Together they become a 3.5 giving you a B+. Also I thought schools didn't allow you to make up grades that you got a C or higher in?
Posted via Mobile Device

P.S if it is bothering you that much take 2 extra science courses. They count in your BCPM and will raise it higher than retaking the course will.
Posted via Mobile Device

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not worth it. Just take additionaly science courses if you're that concerned. I'm assuming you took gen chem freshman year so chock it up to the transition to college.

Wow, you call that slacking off, I feel bad because I was cheering when I got a B in gen. chem 1 (I've never done well in chemistry). From what I heard, a few B's won't really hurt you (Not all B's, but a few) if you get mostly A's.

P.S if it is bothering you that much take 2 extra science courses. They count in your BCPM and will raise it higher than retaking the course will.
Posted via Mobile Device

eh, mathematically, no. Retaking and getting an A carries the same weight as getting an A in another BCPM course with the same # of credits. Just clearing that up.

eh, mathematically, no. Retaking and getting an A carries the same weight as getting an A in another BCPM course with the same # of credits. Just clearing that up.

You're right. My bad. In fact if you did Retake it INSTEAD of taking another sci course you would have a higher gpa.

Retaking would give you a 3.84 whereas taking other courses as I previously suggested would leave you with a 3.8. Both are higher than the 3.77 bcpm that you're sporting right now (this is not putting you down or anything I WISH I had a 3.5 bcpm let alone a 3.77).

However OP you mentioned that you 4.0 in your other premed prereqs. What's your major? Because if you're a science major the other classes count towards the bcpm as well.

Originally was going to be a physical therapist so I'm kinesiology.

Don't retake. Spend your time doing something worthwhile or take other classes which interest you. A couple of B's WILL not hurt you.

Don't retake. Spend your time doing something worthwhile or take other classes which interest you. A couple of B's WILL not hurt you.

Hell, I got 17 B+s, 6 Bs, and 4 B-s. That's 27 B's! And I got multiple acceptances.

Hell, I got 17 B+s, 6 Bs, and 4 B-s. That's 27 B's! And I got multiple acceptances.

are you serious? wow? how many A's C's and D/F did you get? if you don't mind sharing. also, where did you get acceptances to? or is all that too personal?

Won't AMCAS count the first grades as they were?

My understanding is that repeats are just counted as additional coursework. So by that logic, you're probably better off just taking higher level course (right?)

I mean, I have no personal experience with this, but it was my understanding...:confused:

Someone let me know if this is right, please.

are you serious? wow? how many A's C's and D/F did you get? if you don't mind sharing. also, where did you get acceptances to? or is all that too personal?

30 A's
27 B's
0 C's/D's/F's

BCPM 3.48, cGPA 3.51 35R MCAT (11ps/12verbal/12bs)

B.S. Double Major: Biology and Philosophy

I ended up with 3 acceptances (Georgetown, OHSU, and WVU) and I didn't apply as smartly or as broadly as I could have (read: what's a MSAR?). There were probably a few more acceptances waiting for me out there if I had gone after them, but I ended up at my top choice anyways so I can't complain.

I have all A's in my pre-med. pre-recs except for gen. chem. The first two quarters I slacked off and got B's. If I had time to take these over, which I might, would it be worth it to get my grades up to A's.

dude. stop.

this is the exact same dilema i had my freshmen year! lol i would definitely NOT retake these courses. B's are not a big deal..just keep pushing for those A's