Take It In April or Wait Until August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still in the low 20's as far as Diagnostics exams go.

Should I wait until August and prepare over the summer, delaying my application?

Or, should I take it this Spring (I already registered) and really work hard these last few weeks.

I don't want a score of 22 on my records, but again, I don't want to wait until October to get my applications out.

I am already making plans to take the Princeton Course again this summer and register for the August MCAT if necessary.

Any thoughts?

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel that you are not ready, DON'T TAKE IT!!!. No matter how hard you work from now until the April MCAT, a couple of weeks is not going to cut it. As for waiting to take it in August and the application process, don't worry about it. Just get everything else in before, so that when they receive your scores, you are ready to go. Can you get your money back?? If not, then take it. It will be a good experience and the one in August will be no sweat! But just make sure you prepare over the summer, because it kind of comes down to that one chance or waiting until the next year. Either way, you will be fine, just do your best and try to stay relaxed. Take care and good luck!!

I agree. Get everything else ready to send by the time the August scores come around. It shouldn't really hurt you applying in October. Many apply in December and January and that is kinda late. So definitely study hard this summer and take it when you are ready. However, if you really feel that you can study like mad these next few weeks then go for it. That is actually what I did last year about this time and it worked for me. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel like you're not totally ready for the Apr. test (but then who's ever totally ready?
smile.gif
), then DO NOT take it!

As far as being late in the application cycle, if you could gather all the letters and other stuff ready in advance, I think you'll be okay. I also appied late (end of Aug. for the primary and middle of Dec. for the secondary) but got in.
biggrin.gif

I believe it's better to apply late than appliy early w/ a bad MCAT. But just remember, you REALLY have to kick butt on your Aug. MCAT!

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by innerpower (edited April 02, 2001).]

Definitely consider taking the MCAT in August. Scores in the low 20s will get you many automatic rejections.

tongue.gif
Stinky

I think a little oppositely. I did score in the very low 20's but got into every d.o. school I applied to except two. I would suggest you figure out what's going wrong with your diagnostics and try to fix it, soon. If it's verbal, which it is for many, just remember, pace yourself because if you get tripped up on one passage and spend too much time on it, you'll get killed and end up having a poor total score as well. Finish a passage, if you don't know the answers to 1 or 2 in the passage, then guess and move on, and never look back. This is only for verbal. Anyway, no matter what you decide, make sure you have your application done and sent in June, same with all of your letters, so they'll have all of your stuff processed and received by the time your scores arrive, and if you do well, you should hear about interviews in November and December. Remember, the MCAT's are just 2/3rds of the equation. You still need high grades, and good interview skills, plus, it doesn't hurt to have d.o. connections in the right places who may know some people. Good luck.