Take MCAT before finishing courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gold42

Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student and will start taking my pre reqs next semester and finish in Spring 2020 and apply the 2020 cycle. During the Spring 2020 semester I will take Physics 2 and Organic 2.

I would like to take the MCAT but still leave enough time for a possible retake before/during applications. Would I be prepared enough if I took the test half way through the semester and supplemented the rest with review books?

The alternative would be to take it at the end of the spring semester with the possibility of taking it again right after I get my scores. However that would mean continuing to study while I wait for my scores without knowing where I am lacking and put me at taking it in the middle of the summer. Would schools still look at this second score if I have already submitted applications?

Members don't see this ad.

ordinarily I'd say heck no but Physics 2 and Org 2 are 2 of the lowest yield subjects on the MCAT so you could probably wing it

I am a non-traditional student and will start taking my pre reqs next semester and finish in Spring 2020 and apply the 2020 cycle. During the Spring 2020 semester I will take Physics 2 and Organic 2.

I would like to take the MCAT but still leave enough time for a possible retake before/during applications. Would I be prepared enough if I took the test half way through the semester and supplemented the rest with review books?

The alternative would be to take it at the end of the spring semester with the possibility of taking it again right after I get my scores. However that would mean continuing to study while I wait for my scores without knowing where I am lacking and put me at taking it in the middle of the summer. Would schools still look at this second score if I have already submitted applications?

Hello! I have had the personal experience of taking the MCAT exam 3 times!! From this, I learned that good MCAT test preparation is not just about the exam itself. A lot of preparation and research should be done prior to actually sitting down to study. So check this out for MCAT preparation and study tips! :

MCAT Preparation & Study Tips pt. 1

ordinarily I'd say heck no but Physics 2 and Org 2 are 2 of the lowest yield subjects on the MCAT so you could probably wing it

Based on what I saw on my MCAT, I would beg to differ. Organic chemistry was very much a part of it. And the physics I saw was all from Physics 2. I don't believe anyone can say what is high yield or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on what I saw on my MCAT, I would beg to differ. Organic chemistry was very much a part of it. And the physics I saw was all from Physics 2. I don't believe anyone can say what is high yield or not.
Weird, I had 1-2 questions each from organic ii and phys ii

I took it before taking physics II. Then again after taking physics II. I got only 1 point higher in C/P on the second take. I did think the physics in the second take was much harder, and honestly I completely suck at it anyway.

Touching on what others said, what is high yield seems to change from test to test. I had almost no organic in C/P in my second take but a lot in my first take. And I know when I took it the second time a lot of people posted on reddit about how that particular date's B/B was crap because it was all supposedly low yield topics. So it really depends on the specific test you get. You could be just fine, or it could completely screw you.

I honestly have no idea if they will see the second take if you have already submitted your app before then.