Take over PFIZER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to throw out a question. How do companies like Pfizer and Merck get started? Part of my reason to get a PharmD degree was b/c I wanted to start up my own pharmaceutical company and hopefully takeover PFIZER! Anyone have any experience in this or work for a pharmaceutical company, such as in research or a consultant. Actually, I have another question? What does a pharmacist consultants do? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

All I have to say is that you don’t necessarily need a PharmD to open your own pharmaceutical company.

PharmEm said:
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to throw out a question. How do companies like Pfizer and Merck get started? Part of my reason to get a PharmD degree was b/c I wanted to start up my own pharmaceutical company and hopefully takeover PFIZER! Anyone have any experience in this or work for a pharmaceutical company, such as in research or a consultant. Actually, I have another question? What does a pharmacist consultants do? thanks.

Pfizer = a business, a BIG business --> get a business degree!

Members don't see this ad :)
AmandaRxs said:
Pfizer = a business, a BIG business --> get a business degree!

Would getting a you pharmD first then MBA, help?

What kind of gov't regulations are there for starting drug company? How money can you expect starting a drug company (pfizer, tylenol, etc.) ?

Z e r o X said:
Would getting a you pharmD first then MBA, help?

What kind of gov't regulations are there for starting drug company? How money can you expect starting a drug company (pfizer, tylenol, etc.) ?
just FYI i don't believe tylenol is a drug company but rather a brand name.

upon looking at their website they are McNeil, Johnson & Johnson-Merck

Not to stomp all over your dream, but...

The costs associated with starting a pharmaceutical company and the barrier to entry into the market make it highly unlikely that you would be able to do so. Most of the major drug companies are already working on drugs to combat the majority of society's ills, and patent their ideas when they are in the very early stages. Most of these drugs never even see the light of day, but the intellectual property is locked up tight. Then, when those patents are about to run out they change an ingredient slightly and repatent (Claritin-Clarinex, anyone?).

Even if you did start your own company, one of the "big guys" would probably buy you out as soon as you had something good. Not to mention that the major drug companies also have TONS of lobbyists in Congress pushing for laws in their favor (and, possibly against your best interests).

So, here's what you should do: Go to work for one of the drug companies, work your way up through the ranks and then stage a hostile takeover!

yeah..once you have something good..a big pharm company is most likely to buy you out. i work part-time in pfizer and let me tell you, there are a lot of power plays and politics that go on here. plus there is word out that they are planning on buying out merck, i don't know if it is true or not. :rolleyes: ...well..good luck lol, and yeah you would definitely need an mba to the least

CSzGirl said:
Not to stomp all over your dream,
The costs associated with starting a pharmaceutical company and the barrier to entry into the market make it highly unlikely that you would be able to do so. Most of the major drug companies are already working on drugs to combat the majority of society's ills, and patent their ideas when they are in the very early stages. Most of these drugs never even see the light of day, but the intellectual property is locked up tight. Then, when those patents are about to run out they change an ingredient slightly and repatent (Claritin-Clarinex, anyone?).

Even if you did start your own company, one of the "big guys" would probably buy you out as soon as you had something good. Not to mention that the major drug companies also have TONS of lobbyists in Congress pushing for laws in their favor (and, possibly against your best interests).

So, here's what you should do: Go to work for one of the drug companies, work your way up through the ranks and then stage a hostile takeover!

I think you might want to get a PhD in some pharmaceutical sciences field (e.g. pharmacology). However, Purdue offers a dual degree that you might find interesting: PharmD/MSIA. Here's a URL with information on the program:

http://www.pharmacy.purdue.edu/acad...pharmd_msia.php

Purdue also offers a specialization in Industrial and Physical Pharmacy that might appeal to you:

http://www.ipph.purdue.edu/