take risk or play it safe, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chucky85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this thread a few weeks ago on the pre-allo forum, but I wanted to get the opinion of reapplicants.
I applied last year to my instate med schools with a 31 mcat and 3.89 gpa ( both better than state avg). I had ample leadership, 2 years of research, hospital volunteer with the ICU, summer shadowing in OR, international medical mission trip, clubs sports, etc. Very good extracurriculars I thought. I was not accepted to my instate med schools. The dean of admissions at one of the schools told me he could not explain why I was not accepted, besides they had a lot of good applicants. He said there was "NOT A DAMN THING wrong with your file anywhere, I have nowhere to criticize you and that probably half a dozen people something wacky happens and do not get in and I can't explain it." Basically I was as pissed as I was confused. I am talking with the dean of the other state med school on Monday.
I retook the mcat a few weeks ago and got a 34. I think I benefited from the shorter test. The dean I talked to promised me acceptance if I do early decision this next round. Should I play it safe and apply early decision, or should I take a chance an apply broadly. I like my instate school, but I do not like its location (not bad but I personally do not like) and would preferably like to go out of state.

Members don't see this ad.

i forgot to say, if i didnt get into either state med school, something obviously has to be wrong, i was in utter shock to hear the dean tell me there was nothing wrong yet i was not accepted, i am hoping when i talk to this other dean, he can shed some light on my situation

numbers get you an interview. Perhaps something in your interview skills that made the decision go against you?

Members don't see this ad :)
which state are we talking about here?

chucky85 - Do not take the dean's word as is. I am biased - very similar promises were made to me and that were never upheld. But remember that the dean is only one of many people who make the admissions decision. Could he ensure that you would have a good interview? What's to guarantee that he would remember you from the thousands in the applicant pool?

Think of it in another way - if he makes this promise, how would you get him to carry out his part of the bargain if you didn't get in? He didn't sign a contract. He can make promises because there's no penalty. Only a few people come back to him after not getting in, and those who do, can't do anything but to reapply. Either way, he gets your secondary fee. Are you willing to reapply and risk spending another year of your life not in med school, on one man's word?

You are motivated by getting an acceptance - the only way that you can positively affect that chance now is by applying to many places.