Take spring 2021 off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed12389

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if it would look bad for med school if I took next semester off? I would still be able to graduate on time w/o any packed semesters and I've been getting good grades in my classes so far. I also have taken all the prereqs already. I just want to take it off to have one less semester of online school and I figured I could use that time for ECs and studying for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I took off the spring of my third (of five) year. I hiked the Appalachian Trail, had a great time, met lots of interesting people, and got some good essay-prompt/interview-question experiences.

I never got the impression that taking the time off was seen negatively.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I took off the spring of my third (of five) year. I hiked the Appalachian Trail, had a great time, met lots of interesting people, and got some good essay-prompt/interview-question experiences.

I never got the impression that taking the time off was seen negatively.
This. If you do something interesting with it, it becomes a feature, not a bug. Sure, study for the MCAT, but make it more than a work vacation and you'll get some depth to your experiences and perhaps a good story out of it.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors