Take the C or Pass/Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkMelon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm taking ochem 2 as a junior and pretty much guaranteed a C, but i have until next week to pass/fail or withdraw from the class. I don't know if i should just take the C or pass/fail the class and retake the class next semester as a senior. I also have no idea how this will look to medical schools if i take it as a p/f and then take the class in the fall. **i will be applying this season. any advice? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This depends on your GPA. If it's your last science class and doesn't hurt the GPA too much, get the C and move on with your life. If you're adamant about getting a better grade or it hurts too much, do the p/f and retake. How will it look? Like what it is. You protected your GPA. It happens. It's the same as a W.

This depends on your GPA. If it's your last science class and doesn't hurt the GPA too much, get the C and move on with your life. If you're adamant about getting a better grade or it hurts too much, do the p/f and retake. How will it look? Like what it is. You protected your GPA. It happens. It's the same as a W.

I agree with this. W looks just as suspicious, if not more so, than a C

Members don't see this ad :)
Just do P/F. It'll be obvious what's going on, but the final number is still important.

O thought med schools wanted grades instead of P/F for the required prereqs.

I'm fairly sure you can't p/f prequisite courses. You must have a grade.

Well i wouldn't be withdrawing from the course. I would take a "pass" credit, instead of a C, and retake the class in the fall. it's basically a cushion for my gpa.

pretty sure u can't use P/F for pre-req courses. A few Cs won't kill you.

True story, I have friends going MD, PhD, DO, etc that have multiple Cs on their transcripts. Seriously don't freak out. You will be expected, however, to explain yourself come interview time.

I had 3 Cs from my 3rd year of college, but then again, I also had a strong upward trend of 3.7+ my final two years of college (4th and 5th). It's all about how you spin it breh. Take the C, grab a beer, chill, and move on with your life.

Edit: One of my C's was in my third quarter of Ochem. Funny cause I would always ace the Ochem portion of the MCAT practice exams XP.

Last edited:
Well i wouldn't be withdrawing from the course. I would take a "pass" credit, instead of a C, and retake the class in the fall. it's basically a cushion for my gpa.
I think this is a good strategy only if it hurts the GPA too much (e.g. if it's something like 3.57 to 3.32). IF not (3.57 to 3.52), just take the C.

If you are applying only DO, then it doesn't really matter. If you are also going for MD, then switch to P/F and retake, since you need a real grade for pre-reqs at most schools. Plus, are you guaranteed you'll get a C. If you might do worse, go P/F, if you might do better, then you'll have to realistically evaluate if you could pull off a B/B-.

If you are applying only DO, then it doesn't really matter. If you are also going for MD, then switch to P/F and retake, since you need a real grade for pre-reqs at most schools. Plus, are you guaranteed you'll get a C. If you might do worse, go P/F, if you might do better, then you'll have to realistically evaluate if you could pull off a B/B-.

Thanks! this is really helpful. I calculated it and it affects by gpa by .1 so I feel like it would be much better to p/f the class and retake it in the fall b/c it would be nearly impossible for me to get a B (my undergrad doesnt do +/-)