Take the chance to undo poor Math grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfoot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation:
I already have a foreign BS, but I'm working on a 2nd US BS now so I can apply to med school. (I know it's a longer route than many people here would recommend, but I'll deal with it. I've decided this is the best strategy for me after talking to many advisers and admissions officers.)
Today I found out that AMCAS will only look at foreign coursework transferred to a US institution - coursework not transferred are not even reported. This can be advantageous for me because I did poorly in some Math and GE classes from my foreign BS. I am considering not transfering the classes I got lousy grades (Cs) for and retaking them in the state school I am enrolled in now.
But if I do this, I will add another semester to an already 3-yr long 2nd BS. Do you think it's worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my situation:
I already have a foreign BS, but I'm working on a 2nd US BS now so I can apply to med school. (I know it's a longer route than many people here would recommend, but I'll deal with it. I've decided this is the best strategy for me after talking to many advisers and admissions officers.)
Today I found out that AMCAS will only look at foreign coursework transferred to a US institution - coursework not transferred are not even reported. This can be advantageous for me because I did poorly in some Math and GE classes from my foreign BS. I am considering not transfering the classes I got lousy grades (Cs) for and retaking them in the state school I am enrolled in now.
But if I do this, I will add another semester to an already 3-yr long 2nd BS. Do you think it's worth it?

So you can pick and choose what courses you want to transfer to an American undergrad? And everything else you don't have to report to AMCAS? I'm admittedly stupid when it comes to foreign transfer stuff, but does anyone else think this doesn't sound quite right?

So you can pick and choose what courses you want to transfer to an American undergrad? And everything else you don't have to report to AMCAS? I'm admittedly stupid when it comes to foreign transfer stuff, but does anyone else think this doesn't sound quite right?

That doesn't sound right. I believe the records office (or one of the registration offices) gets to choose which grades get transferred and which ones don't.