SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Take the chance to undo poor Math grades?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bigfoot, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. bigfoot

    bigfoot Junior Member 5+ Year Member

    Nov 10, 2005
    San Francisco
    Here's my situation:
    I already have a foreign BS, but I'm working on a 2nd US BS now so I can apply to med school. (I know it's a longer route than many people here would recommend, but I'll deal with it. I've decided this is the best strategy for me after talking to many advisers and admissions officers.)
    Today I found out that AMCAS will only look at foreign coursework transferred to a US institution - coursework not transferred are not even reported. This can be advantageous for me because I did poorly in some Math and GE classes from my foreign BS. I am considering not transfering the classes I got lousy grades (Cs) for and retaking them in the state school I am enrolled in now.
    But if I do this, I will add another semester to an already 3-yr long 2nd BS. Do you think it's worth it?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Droopy Snoopy

    Droopy Snoopy 7+ Year Member

    Apr 3, 2006
    The Alamo
    So you can pick and choose what courses you want to transfer to an American undergrad? And everything else you don't have to report to AMCAS? I'm admittedly stupid when it comes to foreign transfer stuff, but does anyone else think this doesn't sound quite right?
  4. Institute

    Institute 2+ Year Member

    Apr 14, 2007
    That doesn't sound right. I believe the records office (or one of the registration offices) gets to choose which grades get transferred and which ones don't.

Share This Page