Take the Test in August or April

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patch_o

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I need some advice. I took the Kaplan prep course this last spring to prepare for the april MCAT, and I was dissapointed with my MCAT score (25). THe Verbal kind of hurt me (7). I had two 9's in physical and biological sciences. All but one of my practice tests were better than 25. I know i can do better, but I don't know when to retake the test. I could take it in august, but the question of whether i will get enough preparation comes in. I would like to take a year off from school, and just work for a year. What would you guys do in my situation? I am really not sure what i want to do at this point, so any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

patch_o said:
Hey Guys,
I need some advice. I took the Kaplan prep course this last spring to prepare for the april MCAT, and I was dissapointed with my MCAT score (25). THe Verbal kind of hurt me (7). I had two 9's in physical and biological sciences. All but one of my practice tests were better than 25. I know i can do better, but I don't know when to retake the test. I could take it in august, but the question of whether i will get enough preparation comes in. I would like to take a year off from school, and just work for a year. What would you guys do in my situation? I am really not sure what i want to do at this point, so any advice would be appreciated.

Do you want to ake a year off to work because of your MCAT or regardless? If you were going to do it anyway, I would retake in April just so you could study more.

EMT2ER-DOC said:
I have said it before and I will say it again.

Take the MCAT when YOU feel that YOU are ready.

nuff sed.

it sounds simple but thats completely true

who knows why you didnt do as well as you wanted the first time? it may just have been test anxiety but it may have been something else. the august test is 6 weeks from today....... if you want, register for it, work your ass off and take a full length practice test in 3 or 4 weeks.... if that score turns out to be really far from your goal, get your money back from the aamc and take the test again next april. good luck!