Take Tufts (acceptance) or wait for UOP (alternate list)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutshopao

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you take Tufts if you were accepted? or deny it and wait it out to try to get into UOP? ( I am on alternate list at UOP)

Members don't see this ad.

Depends how you rank these schools. If UoP is #1 and Tufts is #2, I'd send in my deposit to Tufts and then wait on UoP. The deposit isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things.

But me personally? I'd just choose Tufts... Ok, I'm biased. I got into both on Dec. 1 and chose Tufts:)

Depends how you rank these schools. If UoP is #1 and Tufts is #2, I'd send in my deposit to Tufts and then wait on UoP. The deposit isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things.

But me personally? I'd just choose Tufts... Ok, I'm biased. I got into both on Dec. 1 and chose Tufts:)

Cyber, you're probably the first person ever to choose Tufts over UoP :p

then again, I'm probably the first person ever to choose Tufts over UIC In-State :laugh:

I would do what he said. Pay for both. If you decline Tufts, you might not get off the alternate list at UoP and you'd have to apply again (costing you more than the cost of 2 deposits), and who knows if you'd get in anywhere if you did that...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm choosing Tufts over UoP as well.

Im choosing Tufts over a number of schools including my state school. I would have to recommend at lease sending in your deposit to secure a spot in a class for next fall. Unless you feel UoP is that much stronger and you want to gamble with a possible year off. Good luck with you decision as I know its a tough one.

In the past, Pacific has given preference to students that were waitlisted the year before in the admissions process. There's quite a few people in my class who were waitlisted here and turned down acceptances to other schools to start in the next class, so that's an option, however with that you sort of lose out on the whole "3 year" thing.

I imagine a lot of people would go to Tuft's over Pacific, simply because Tufts is in Boston and I imagine a lot of people would be drawn to that location because they're either sick of California or they're from the northeast originally.

UoP is not that great.

thanks for the opinion, but could you elaborate more?

I'm choosing Tufts over UoP as well.

On the contrary... UoP is actually quite an excellent school. They treat their students nicely, have a beautiful facility, are in a great city, and get their students out in 3 years. For some, these are good things.

On the other hand, UoP is expensive and the curriculum is condensed.

Though on a personal level, Tufts fits me and my learning style better (4-year program). Having said that, I would've liked to get into UCSF, but was rejected post-interview.

On the contrary... UoP is actually quite an excellent school. They treat their students nicely, have a beautiful facility, are in a great city, and get their students out in 3 years. For some, these are good things.

On the other hand, UoP is expensive and the curriculum is condensed.

Though on a personal level, Tufts fits me and my learning style better (4-year program). Having said that, I would've liked to get into UCSF, but was rejected post-interview.

While I absolutely agree with everything you've said, the point you made that Pacific is expensive doesn't make much sense to me, because Tufts objectively costs almost exactly the same as Pacific (around $10,000 more to go to Tufts), even if you factor out the opportunity cost of the beloved "extra year" you get from Pacific.

Knowing nothing about either schools, I'd say at LEAST be safe and deposit for Tufts if you're going to wait on UoP. Do NOT deny Tufts and wait for that spot that may never come - you'll regret that for a long time

quite frankly that is a really dumb question that you can certainly answer for yourself and don't need others input to help you with this decision.

Would you take Tufts if you were accepted? or deny it and wait it out to try to get into UOP? ( I am on alternate list at UOP)

If you dont know much about either schools....then just roll with Tufts then. Which school did you feel like you BELONG while during the interview??