Take USMLE Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erdoc123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a DO student. I took both comlex and usmle step 1 last year. I am debating whether or not to take usmle step 2. I want to do Emergency medicine. Do you guys feel it is worth taking usmle step 2 for the field? Although many programs accept comlex, I feel that since I took step 1, I should go ahead and take 2. I'm also on rotation while studying. I'm just afraid of taking the risk of scoring poorly on the second part. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Im a DO student. I took both comlex and usmle step 1 last year. I am debating whether or not to take usmle step 2. I want to do Emergency medicine. Do you guys feel it is worth taking usmle step 2 for the field? Although many programs accept comlex, I feel that since I took step 1, I should go ahead and take 2. I'm also on rotation while studying. I'm just afraid of taking the risk of scoring poorly on the second part. What do you guys think?

it depends on how well you scored on the step 1, if you scored well then only take the step 2 later in the year like most MDs. if you need to bring up your score to be more competitive take it and rock it out, but make sure you score better than the first score's metrics.