Taken Off Penn St. Hold for Interview list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuggie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview at Penn State after being on the "Hold for Interview List" since december-ish. I'm psyched! It's my first interview and regardless of whether I get in, it would have been a shame to pay all that money for applications and never get a chance to show them everything I've got.:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

good luck - sure you will do great. i have that depressing letters stuck in a file somewhere...

Nuggie,

Congrats on your interview. I had a question though -- did they inform you prior to this point that you were on pre-interview hold? I have had a completed application at PSU since probably late Aug and haven't heard a blessid thing from them .. everytime I call they say my file is still under review. I've not been told I was on pre-interview hold or anything ... I find it really wierd that I wouldn't get an interview, at least, being a state resident with decent stats (combined with the fact I have received 8 other interviews). Anyone know what PSU's deal is with in-state? Are they trying to expand their proverbial horizons and taking less instate?

The only other school I've not heard a thing from yet is WF -- anyone have any idea what their deal is?

--NDomer

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by NDomer03
Nuggie,
Congrats on your interview. I had a question though -- did they inform you prior to this point that you were on pre-interview hold?
--NDomer

hey, i got taken off of pre-interview hold, too, and will be interviewing there this week... if you haven't heard from them, you might want to call. i was complete in late august also and had my hold-for-interview letter in hand by september...i'm in state, etc., and frankly had been a little surprised I hadn't gotten an interview earlier, too... just call, be polite and ask if they could give you any info on your status. :) good luck!

~chops

I received a letter in the mail awhile back notifying me of my "hold for an interview" status. I am a PA native living in MA. As long as your application is complete and they've told you you are under consideration I think you should be all set. They may just be taking a long time to make a final decision on your application. Good luck!

2 pieces of advice for those interviewing there:
remember to check the weather forcast ahead of time for snow, because you may be staying longer than anticpated.
and DO NOT, by any circumstances what-so-ever, stay at the Red Carpet Inn.

also if your cab driver charges you more than 16 bucks for a ride from the airport, s/he is ripping you off. avoid all mini-van taxis.

Thats great, congratulations. I'm on hold for an interview at my state schl (MI), Wayne State, so I'm waiting, they interview till end of April, so there is still a decent shot.

Goodluck, knock em dead on interview day!!:)

Originally posted by nuggie
I just got an interview at Penn State after being on the "Hold for Interview List" since december-ish. I'm psyched! It's my first interview and regardless of whether I get in, it would have been a shame to pay all that money for applications and never get a chance to show them everything I've got.:clap:

did you just get the letter (like today, the 25th)? i've been on hold at penn state forever, and i wonder if they're sending out a final wave of interview invites...

So I e-mailed PSU today ....

============
Dear Applicant,
Your application is still under review. We will make note that you are still interested in Penn State.

Thank you,
============

Hmmm ... so I didn't get a "post-interview hold" letter ... and I didn't (yet) get an interview. Any idea how long they interview until? How long can they possibly review a file? Keep in mind my file was completed in mid-August.

But boy, I'm really glad they're going to make note of my continued interest, after all this time.

Whomever said this process sucks is right ... it's a joke that we actually PAY for this service and accept treatments like this.

I actually received a phone call from someone at Penn State asking me to interview. We made the arrangements over the phone and she said that all the info. would be coming in the mail. The admissions person said she called me so that I would have ample time to make travel arrangements.

I received a phone call about my interview too. Make sure you have a pen and paper handy, cuz I was driving while they were giving me all the info (time, date, place) and had to commit it to memory. That phone call is also the only confirmation you'll have of your interview too...no email, no nothing. It was a good thing they call too, cuz I didn't get my packet for a good week or two afterwards.

for all of you still in the hold for interview category--- it's not a "soft rejection." i found out on friday that i got into PSU and i was part of that hold-for-interview category. no waitlist, just an acceptance. i interviewed in late February.

hope that helps someone out!

hey chopsuey,
Just wanted to know how you found out? Big envelope - little envelope? I'm still waiting to hear and full of anticipation!

Hey Chopsuey-
Did you interview on March 28th? If so, consider yourself really lucky. That was Penn State's last day of interviews. How do i know this you ask?
Well, this was my second year on the infamous "hold for possible interview" list. I wasn't fortunate enough to get an interview this year either :( poor me.
It was the way i found out that really stunk. I e-mailed the admissions office on 3/31 for an update of my status. The reply stated the last day of interviews were 3/28. Guess that means i am SOL again this year.
Congrats on your acceptance. Hope you remain a member on SDN through your first year....i am gonna pick your brain for ideas on how i can get accepted next year. Penn State is my first choice.

Perserverant-
i interviewed in February...and i won't be MSI next year...i'm deferring :clap:

nuggie-

I got a phone call on Friday because they wanted to invite me to 2nd look on Saturday. The envelope is at home, i think, but i didn't ask if it was big or small...

good luck to you all!