Taking 6 credit hours while studying for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saturday’s Child

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking the MCAT in May 2019, so spring semester will be my study semester. There are 3 main factors that are making me seriously consider taking only 6 to 9 credit hours, but I want to make sure that doing this will not raise any red flags when I apply. These are the 3 factors:

1) Obvious time commitment to studying necessary to do well on the MCAT. I don’t want to take any chances with taking too many credit hours that could potentially take away from MCAT study time.
2) Heavy involvement in 5 extracurriculars (volunteering, club, research, sport, music ensemble), none of which I am able to take time away from for various reason. The music ensemble and research both count for class credit, and I have leadership positions in the other 3.
3) Limited options left for classes to take and limited scholarship hours (covering full tuition) remaining, so I can’t afford to take easier classes that don’t count toward my major. The only options left for my major are either only offered in the fall or are considered to be heavy work loads.

I have a very high GPA and have averaged around ~14 hours every semester. Would I be fine reducing my course load to below full-time student (preferably 6 hours, 9 hours max), or will this be an issue for med schools when I apply, and I should avoid it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.