Taking a class pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DF38

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do adcoms think of it? I'm a junior, am applying this summer, and want to take a class pass/fail in the fall. So, the grade won't go on my original application, but schools will see it at the end of the semester when I send them my updated grades. Will they mind? And how does that get calculated into GPA?

For the record, it's a non-science, not for my major random history class that I want to take.

Members don't see this ad.

pass/fail classes doesnt count toward gpa calculations as far as i know

Does nobody know what adcoms think of it? Come on, there must be somebody out there who can help me out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to take one my last semester- it was just a stupid 1 credit class- but my pre-med advisor told me it would look bad on my app- however- the premed advisor at my school was a just a postion that some unlucky prof had to volenteer for - so whether it actually looks bad or not I am not sure

You should only take a class P/F if 1) that's the only way the school offers it and/or 2) it is not a science class

In general, taking a science class P/F and applying to med school may raise some eyebrows. Unless you have a great science GPA already.

I seem to remember battling this decision once when I was in undergrad. However for me it was a science course and I decided not to take it pass/fail. I think that you can take it pass/fail and you should be ok. An interviewer might ask you why, so be prepared to answer. Since it is a very miniscule aspect of your application it would only hurt you if you were on the fence. Hopefully you did well on the MCAT so your application will be so strong they won’t even care.