Taking a lvl 100 plant bio course as a Junior bio major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FriendlyStranger

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a Junior at a quarter school majoring in Biology and I was wondering if it would look bad if I took a lower division bio course about plants. Most of my prereqs are done and I'm am overloading (5 or more classes) so that I make a significant positive impact on my GPA before I apply (which is currently a 3.1). I am also curious about plant biology, and would like to test the waters in an easier class. I should also note that the class seems aimed at non-science ppl. The rest of my classes this quarter are pretty standard prereqs and upper level bio. Would this look questionable to an adcom? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, AdComs will know that it's a "gut" course.
It's just one course, so it won't have much impact on your GPA.
Take it if you think you will enjoy it. Nobody will blame you for taking an interesting elective.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, AdComs will know that it's a "gut" course.
It's just one course, so it won't have much impact on your GPA.
Take it if you think you will enjoy it. Nobody will blame you for taking an interesting elective.
Would they care if I took a blow-off semester of 100 lvl courses just to graduate? I'm just focusing on ECs and MCAT mostly. To be honest, I'm so done with school, wish I graduated a semester early.

OP if you require biology credits to graduate they may not count the 100 lvl bio course towards your graduation requirements since you've probably taken 300+lvl already. That just depends on the school so I'd ask an advisor.