Taking a research year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serpinc1

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I would very much like to get some opinions on the matter of taking a research year during medical school.

I am a current OMS1 and I am continuing doing research from my Masters project along with my first year classes. I am finding it quite difficult to manage time between both commitments and fear it may get worse into the fall where the course load at my institution is higher.

I completed my Masters in Biochemistry (bioinformatics specifically) and was writing an algorithm for a publication where I would be first author (likely in a higher impact journal). In addition, I was offered to head statistical analysis for an upcoming clinical trial which will be published this year as well.

I don't want to lose the opportunity to complete these projects that I am very passionate about, but at the same time, I would be essentially be delaying graduation from medical school by a year. I understand there are opportunities to do research after graduation as well, but I feel I would miss the boat on some of these potential first author publications that I have already invested a lot of work into.

As of now, I feel I would regret the opportunity of not completing these projects and making a productive research year which would also involve international conference presentations. However, I feel as though insight from others who are perhaps free of any personal biases will help me make an informed decision.

I look forward to hearing your advice and experiences on this matter.

Thank you

EDIT: I mistakenly posted this in the Premedical section. I has now been moved to the medical students section.

Members don't see this ad.