Taking a W during a post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocOrBust2019

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To start: I have a lot of Ws on my transcript. Probably 7. Most are from 2009-2012, one was in 2017.

I'm doing a post-bacc to get to a 3.4 cGPA and getting close to that goal.

I'm currently about 50 credits into a post bacc at my community college and I'm struggling in my trigonometry class. I only took it as it was a coreq for Physics. My next test is tomorrow, and depending on how that goes, I may be struggling to pull a B in the course, with an A a distant possibility. I'm enrolled in 18 credits this semester, and between biochem, physics, and starting a new job as a science tutor here I just haven't been able to give trig the focus it requires for me to do well.

I was just wondering how bad for my app it would be to take a W. Would it be better to risk a C in the course? Currently my post bacc GPA is a 3.97.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It could be worth it -- it just depends on how you weigh the impact on your GPA compared to the impact of a W. If you have been doing well, which it seems you have, a single B would not necessarily hurt you.
 
A single B in your post bacc will not hurt you, particularly in a lower division math class that most schools don’t require.
 
A while back, I took "precalc", a 5 credit hour course. I got an A...However, I really just had a C in the class but the rest of the class was failing and so when the professor curved it, I got the A.
You may be able to ask around for a professor like that on your campus if there is one and enroll in that course to retake it.