Taking a year and Half Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDissapointment

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After a terrible week of school I have decided to take a year half off. My current institution is not the best fit for me. I have only been in attendance for about 2.5 years now. I feel I am not getting the best quality education so I have decided to transfer to a better unveristy with a better developed program that offers courses and academic endeavors that my current university does not and complete just 4 more years to graduate and fully enjoy college. I haven't been able to do that in a long time. I plan to keep my biology major the same and also add public health administration. This way if I don't get into med school I'll still have a plan B. A little bit about me. I am a 22 year old undergrad in my fourth year however due to financial and medical circusmtances I have had to drop a total of 10 classes over the four years of undergrad. My mental state is going to crap, and I have been diagnosed with manic depression this past summer. I have decided to take time off for a year and half and then come back to school in full force. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.4 and SGPA of 3.0. Overall the only notable bad things on my transcript are going to be that I have 1 D, 1 F, and 5 C but only 3 of the C are in science courses and I've retaken or currently retaking classes that I have either had to drop or didn't get an B or higher in. Other than that I have majority A and B on my transcript and majority of them are in other science courses. After I finish I want to go to a graduate program and then med school. I am young and dumb but determined. I understand I'll have to work harder to get to med school but it will all be worth it. I understand that I will have to explain myself to medical school admissions but you won't know until you try. I might be 27 when I finish undergrad but it if I'm where I need to be and am able to prove to med school admissions that I can succeed after having gone through hell then I might have a shot.

Do you think my odds of getting into med school are decent enough?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, definitely! You're still young and you can create the future you want to. I have a friend who, at 27 decided that med school was not for him. He only had one year of med school left and decided to quit and pursue Philosophy as a second degree. If you don't get into the med school you want with the current grades you have, just do better and apply again.
I just need to rediscover my passion of learning that I used to have.

Hi all,

After a terrible week of school I have decided to take a year half off. My current institution is not the best fit for me. I have only been in attendance for about 2.5 years now. I feel I am not getting the best quality education so I have decided to transfer to a better unveristy with a better developed program that offers courses and academic endeavors that my current university does not and complete just 4 more years to graduate and fully enjoy college. I haven't been able to do that in a long time. I plan to keep my biology major the same and also add public health administration. This way if I don't get into med school I'll still have a plan B. A little bit about me. I am a 22 year old undergrad in my fourth year however due to financial and medical circusmtances I have had to drop a total of 10 classes over the four years of undergrad. My mental state is going to crap, and I have been diagnosed with manic depression this past summer. I have decided to take time off for a year and half and then come back to school in full force. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.4 and SGPA of 3.0. Overall the only notable bad things on my transcript are going to be that I have 1 D, 1 F, and 5 C but only 3 of the C are in science courses and I've retaken or currently retaking classes that I have either had to drop or didn't get an B or higher in. Other than that I have majority A and B on my transcript and majority of them are in other science courses. After I finish I want to go to a graduate program and then med school. I am young and dumb but determined. I understand I'll have to work harder to get to med school but it will all be worth it. I understand that I will have to explain myself to medical school admissions but you won't know until you try. I might be 27 when I finish undergrad but it if I'm where I need to be and am able to prove to med school admissions that I can succeed after having gone through hell then I might have a shot.

Do you think my odds of getting into med school are decent enough?

Marathon now, not a sprint.

Members don't see this ad :)
A wise Goro once told me, "medical schools aren't going anywhere." I'm currently in my gap year, and it has tremendously helped shaped me as a better student and person. Take your time and enjoy the journey of life.

A wise Goro once told me, "medical schools aren't going anywhere." I'm currently in my gap year, and it has tremendously helped shaped me as a better student and person. Take your time and enjoy the journey of life.

My GPA is going to drop after this semester. I feel like dropping out.

Yeah, unlike some people who post this question, you have two things going for you:
  1. Your GPA isnt a total trainwreck. It's salvageable with consistent good grades over a few years.
  2. You have a proven ability to get A's in science courses. Many people who ask this question dont have neurons capable of this.
So there's your answer. Slow down, breath, take some time, and when you come back, get A's. It'll work out.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, unlike some people who post this question, you have two things going for you:
  1. Your GPA isnt a total trainwreck. It's salvageable with consistent good grades over a few years.
  2. You have a proven ability to get A's in science courses. Many people who ask this question dont have neurons capable of this.
So there's your answer. Slow down, breath, take some time, and when you come back, get A's. It'll work out.
Yeah.

I'm going to have to retake a few courses once I come back but besides that it will all workout

Reactions: 1 user
Can you not drop your class(es) that way it won't affect your GPA?
I could but then that would add to the W that I already have. I could just retake. I have to take then again either way. I'd rather just learn what I can and then retake then with the knowledge.

I could but then that would add to the W that I already have. I could just retake. I have to take then again either way. I'd rather just learn what I can and then retake then with the knowledge.

IMO, I would rather have another W on my transcript than anything below a B. Protect your GPA because even if you retake it the previous grade will still plummet your GPA.

IMO, I would rather have another W on my transcript than anything below a B. Protect your GPA because even if you retake it the previous grade will still plummet your GPA.
True. I'm at the point of dropping out completely and going somewhere else.

Yes, definitely! You're still young and you can create the future you want to. I have a friend who, at 27 decided that med school was not for him. He only had one year of med school left and decided to quit and pursue Philosophy as a second degree. If you don't get into the med school you want with the current grades you have, just do better and apply again.
Should I just drop out at this point but on no longer interested in school