Taking a year off after undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BayPharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to a pharmacy program in the fall, but it was not my first choice so I'm debating on whether I should take a year off and reapply. During my year off, I'd probably do some traveling and maybe some community based work. I'm worried that I won't have time to travel after pharmacy school because of residency or jobs.

I know it might be kind of risky reapplying because I don't even know if I'll get in the 2nd time. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

How competitive are your stats?

I'm not sure if its worth losing a year of salary by waiting one year, unless your 1st choice is a 3 year program and this school is 4 years. What makes this school so unattractive? If its a place you know you won't be happy for 4 years its probably worth waiting 1 year.

I would check to see if you can defer your admission for 1 year in order to have it as a backup in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kinda like what 30percent said. Honestly, you're putting off a year of salary so you can have some fun. Only you know if that trade off is worth it. If you do some epic volunteerism and travel, it might be. :shrug:

Besides, you don't have to give up travel just because you're in school. My classmates set up a cruise for a group, so they spent Spring Break bouncing around the Caribbean, and they've got a road trip set up for the first 2 weeks of summer.

I got into a 3 year program so I'll be in school year round which makes traveling a little more difficult as a student.

I'm content with the program that I got into, but I feel like I could do much better if I reapply and get more experience.