Taking a year off, best ways to keep clinical knowledge fresh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asquared

One step at a time
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the post says, I'm an MS3 who's completed almost all her core rotations about to take a year off to get an MPH. Once I return to the med school curriculum I'll be doing a sub-i in pediatrics and hope to take STEP 2 CK after that. Does anyone have tips on keeping clinical knowledge fresh over my year off? Ideally, I'll be going to peds clinic an afternoon a week, but I don't want to totally lose all my medicine, surgery, ob/gyn knowledge either. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

No MPH is worth one lost year of attending salary. An MPH is largely worthless for doctors for both a knowledge reason (you’re smart enough to learn all the material on your own independently) and a financial one (it adds no monetary value to your career). Taking a year off to get one will also cost you over two hundred thousand dollars as a peds attending. If you really want a MPH you can get one when you’re an attending on the side. Then you don’t have to even worry about falling behind.

Reactions: 7 users
I took 2 years off between 3rd and 4th year several years ago. To be honest I didn’t do anything specific to keep up my knowledge. I took step 2 at the end of my leave of absence. I was able to have dedicated study time for about 2 months before I took the test and that pretty much got me back in the clinical mindset. Once I started 4th year again I realized with the studying I did for step 2 my clinical knowledge was just about where it needed to be. Good luck to you!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking a year off between MS3 and MS4. I am doing research, but I still go to Grand rounds, at least in my intended specialty. I took CK, so I won't have that to get back on track.

Thank you to people who provided insight.

I didn't want to answer, but I feel it was unnecessary to have two comments to tell me I shouldn't do an MPH. That wasn't my question and your opinion is warranted on some level, but this isn't the place.

Reactions: 1 users
I would take CK before you leave, thats what my school requires.

I took 4 years off between MS2 and MS3 and didn't do anything clinical and it worked out fine so 1 year is nothing

I would take CK before you leave, thats what my school requires.

I took 4 years off between MS2 and MS3 and didn't do anything clinical and it worked out fine so 1 year is nothing
4 years off? What did you do during that time?