Taking a year off during Caribbean med school for surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pratriciaexists

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need some help from current medical students either in Caribbean or US based med school. Is it possible to take a year off during Caribbean med school either between first and second year or between second and third year (in order to undergo surgery)? Or would this significantly reduce your chances of doing rotations and practicing in a US medicine? I could put off the surgery, but I don't think it would be optimal to do it later down the road. If anyone can provide me with some useful information, I would greatly appreciate it.
 
Going to the carribbean for medical school ALREADY greatly reduces your chances at practicing medicine in the US. If you havent already started, and your stats are competitive, re-apply DO.
 
Between second and third year would be better in my opinion. Get step 1 under your belt and then go for it