Taking a year off... what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorPenguin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm probably not getting in this cycle. In preparation for the future cycle, what kind of things do ya'll recommend during the year off that medical schools will like to see?

Would something as simple as volunteering at a hospital 4/7 days a week for 3-6 hours a day be sufficient? I know this is a very vague question... but I'd like to make sure my year off is as medical-school directed as possible. I don't intend to travel and have a ton of money saved up for medical school... so I have lots of time to spare.

Right now I'm focused on volunteering at a hospital and looking for shadowing opportunities. Would I need to do more?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, what you do depends on the reason you aren't getting in this cycle.

Did you apply late? Mcat? GPA? apply to only ivy league? etc?

So I'm probably not getting in this cycle. In preparation for the future cycle, what kind of things do ya'll recommend during the year off that medical schools will like to see?

Would something as simple as volunteering at a hospital 4/7 days a week for 3-6 hours a day be sufficient? I know this is a very vague question... but I'd like to make sure my year off is as medical-school directed as possible. I don't intend to travel and have a ton of money saved up for medical school... so I have lots of time to spare.

Right now I'm focused on volunteering at a hospital and looking for shadowing opportunities. Would I need to do more?

Yea, try to find so research opportunities.... Research in probably more important or just as important as medical voluteering

Well, what you do depends on the reason you aren't getting in this cycle.

This.

I may not end up getting in this cycle either, and the only reason it could possibly be is my GPA. So I'm looking at either taking some anatomy & medical spanish classes at a community college to shore up my GPA. I was wanting to do research or something, but I'm not sure if compensating in a different area will benefit me.

Some schools have an opportunity to meet with admissions staff or talk to them on the phone to help with your application if you didn't get in. It'll probably be late in the spring, but it'll be worth it if you can do it.