heywhatsup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
does it look bad to take a yr off after you graduate? i dont thikn im ready to apply

jewelsnz

Kiwi girl
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I hope not I took 3 years off!! I think it could be beneficial if you got a job as a dental assistant and learnt more about the field. Thats what I am doing right now.

ladent

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
i think it's pretty common...but i think schools want to see that you did something useful (ie. take extra classes, volunteer/shadow) rather than sit around all day for a year. i'm sure they'd ask what you did during your year off. and i think the average age of a dental student is like 24 or something so you won't be the only one who took time off after undergrad.

About the Ads

earthcap

Interview!
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2006
Status
Dental Student
heywhatsup said:
does it look bad to take a yr off after you graduate? i dont thikn im ready to apply
I don't think it'll hurt you at all as far as you can spend your time with a defined goal during that year. After all, I'm taking a year off, too.

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I took a year off to work hand and eye dexterity as well as visual acuity. Splinter Cell, Halo 2, etc. Best choice I ever made. You'd probably do yourself a favor by working at least part time in a dental practice.

pmoney

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
reapply2007 said:
I took a year off to work hand and eye dexterity as well as visual acuity. Splinter Cell, Halo 2, etc. Best choice I ever made. You'd probably do yourself a favor by working at least part time in a dental practice.
I like to study CS:Source to practice these important skills.

maisuree

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
when taking a year off, do you think if i just volunteer at a dental practice & work at an unrelated-dental place would be enough?

i was thinking of taking a bio class as a post-bac. but for financial reason, i don't think i can.

any suggestions?

thank you.

E. coli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
heywhatsup said:
As long as you can tell the admission people what you did during your off year during the interview, you will be good. I also took a year off before dental school because I was not ready to apply. I basically did a lot of volunteering at the hospital and dental clinics, tutored a lot of students and did a lot of traveling. I am glad I took the year off, because I did things that I know I won't be doing when dental school starts. Also, I feel so refresh, just before the start of dental school.

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
Status
Academic Administration
If I could convince myself to take a year off, I would, and I would do honestly nothing but travel if I could swing it financially.

I have been told by numerous dentists that they would have taken a year off to get ready for dental school and the rest of their life. Once you start Dschool and open your practice, it's just not the same as the glorious years of undergrad.

Maybe I'll ask to defer my admissions...I wonder if that is even possible!

Best of luck deciding though!

OP
H

heywhatsup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
thanks for your feedback guys!

About the Ads