Taking advantage of death of a family member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought this would help my application because it could seem like I am doing all of this because of my relative's deaths.

it could SEEM like? i thought the whole point is that you WERE doing things because you were affected by the death of your relatives…

sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
"In conclusion, losing family members to cancer has really moved me... to a bigger house! How's the ortho match rate at this program?"

Reactions: 6 users
Yes my reasons for going to med school is mainly to be a doctor and not as much to help other people.
I'm genuinely confused about your motivation to become a doctor...a doctor does many things, but their main role is to help other people. This really won't be a satisfying field for you if you can't even get excited about the most basic service a physician provides.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Its really funny how everyone thinks I'm trolling but I swear I'm just speaking my mind. Yes my reasons for going to med school is mainly to be a doctor and not s much to help other people. I'm asking this because there is a clinical program around my area that does both cancer awareness presentations and free screenings and advising for those who are unfortunately poor or ignorant about cancer. I thought this would help my application because it could seem like I am doing all of this because of my relative's deaths.

I previously thought the point of SDN was to get people into medical school and I haven't gotten a serious reply yet. You guys have to stop letting your emotions get in the way and answer the OP directly. That is how a respectful, professional forum works and you guys are all a disgrace, calling me a troll and stuff.
We're not fans of helping people game the system, because believe it or not medicine is a profession that does tend to largely attract a group of ethical individuals.

Reactions: 2 users
My learned colleague almost made me spit my tea out all over my keyboard!

And to OP: people come to this forum for realistic advice, not hugs and kisses.

And SDNers tend not to suffer fools lightly.
We're not fans of helping people game the system, because believe it or not medicine is a profession that does tend to largely attract a group of ethical individuals.

See this is why it would've been much better had OP been trolling us all this time. The fact that he's serious is pretty... tragic.

If this is bad here imagine posting in wall street oasis. "I think someone did better than me on my interview day. Convenient locations in NYC to hide body?"

"500$ or 750$ Hermés tie?"

"Are Satan's terms really that unreasonable?"

"How much money do I need to make to get away with cocaine every day in public?"

What the !@#$%? I'm not trolling! I am asking a legit question so I can mold my application into something more purposeful

Focus on molding yourself into the person you want to be, and your application will follow.

Its really funny how everyone thinks I'm trolling but I swear I'm just speaking my mind. Yes my reasons for going to med school is mainly to be a doctor and not s much to help other people. I'm asking this because there is a clinical program around my area that does both cancer awareness presentations and free screenings and advising for those who are unfortunately poor or ignorant about cancer. I thought this would help my application because it could seem like I am doing all of this because of my relative's deaths.

If you're asking how you can seem a certain way to ADCOMs, you're asking the wrong questions. A compelling story looks great, but the second you get to an interview they will be able to tell if you're lying about your motivations. My advice is to do the volunteering and activities because you'll help people (probably by accident) and quickly realize whether this career is for you... but think about why people on this forum have reacted so negatively to the way you're posing your question.

People are far too nice on this forum in my opinion... if anything people learn best the hard way.

Let him fail out or apply 20x over and maybe he'll have a glimmer of enlightenment.

Hahaha, but no, I won't fail. I'm destroying my undergrad classes right now, even ochem and genetics :p and I already have internships and scribing interviews set up for summer. I'm aiming for low ranked DO school's and I'm willing to move anywhere, so I probably won't fail.

Hahaha, but no, I won't fail. I'm destroying my undergrad classes right now, even ochem and genetics :p and I already have internships and scribing interviews set up for summer. I'm aiming for low ranked DO school's and I'm willing to move anywhere, so I probably won't fail.

I pray for all the patients who will have the misfortune to see you down the road.... at least you set your own standards low.

I previously thought the point of SDN was to get people into medical school and I haven't gotten a serious reply yet. You guys have to stop letting your emotions get in the way and answer the OP directly. That is how a respectful, professional forum works and you guys are all a disgrace, calling me a troll and stuff.

Not good enough.

If you need to manipulate the death of a family member to give your personal statement "purpose"....its not good enough.

This mindset right here.....

Right brains. Wrong attitude.

Confident and willing to game the system on technicalities to get in. Not much of a genuine person though.

If you really are not a troll (still not convinced) than I wish you luck and strongly recommend you consider the Carib schools as they offer students like you a great chance to "prove us wrong". Just ignore the other recommendations away from Carib, because obviously people just don't understand your abilities. You are the *perfect* candidate.

(and trust me I am saying this with the *utmost* sincerity and integrity)

If you really are not a troll (still not convinced) than I wish you luck and strongly recommend you consider the Carib schools as they offer students like you a great chance to "prove us wrong". Just ignore the other recommendations away from Carib, because obviously people just don't understand your abilities. You are the *perfect* candidate.

(and trust me I am saying this with the *utmost* sincerity and integrity)

isn't it hard to get a match at a caribbean school though? If I'm going to shoot for ortho or plastic its gonna be damn near imposible

isn't it hard to get a match at a caribbean school though? If I'm going to shoot for ortho or plastic its gonna be damn near imposible

Wouldn't that be kind of tough at a bottom of the barrel DO program to?? Just spit balling here...

For someone who's "just speaking their mind" and complains about not getting a serious response to help you "mold your application" you're doing a great job ignoring all the direct, legitimate responses to your question from people like @LizzyM @whatever5 @Medschoolornah @Ismet @haaaaaaaaaaveyoumetted etc. You're also ignoring the indirect answers you're getting from practically everyone else.

If you're really not a troll, then stop acting like one. Listen to what people are telling you.

It is one of the hidden secrets of admissions, exploit your family (especially deaths) as much as possible. If you haven't had a family member die, just kill them and make it look like cancer. That way you will always have something to write about. You may even get some inheritance to help with your application costs.

Polonium works well, says my sources in KGB.

Like always, there's a way to be tasteful about this stuff and a way to sound like a complete cliche. It can be legit that a death can be motivating -- ie. altruism is a mature defense for psychological stressors... anyone remember that bullshiet from Step I? But, if you milk it too much... you just sound like you're a mopey pity case.

Reactions: 2 users