taking an intro level course after upper levels?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alestrx9

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm signing up for classes for the spring semester and I have a really intense course load (orgo and physics + labs). I was thinking about signing up for one easy course, a 100 level biology class that I would pretty much just take for fun because it interests me and fits perfectly into my schedule. It's known to be an easy A class though.. I toyed with taking another upper level science instead, such as genetics or anatomy, but I don't think it's a good idea to do while taking orgo and physics and their labs, I mean I could handle it but I don't want to risk not getting an A. The easy bio class will be relaxing for me haha. I don't know if I should just avoid doing this alltogether though, it might look ridiculous because I've taken upper level biology already and gotten A's. For example I took two 300 level bio courses this semester, I don't want to look like a fool. I love bio though and this intro class is in a specific area I actually haven't taken yet and I felt it would be a good easy class to take to balance out the madness of concurrent orgo and physics. what do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I'm signing up for classes for the spring semester and I have a really intense course load (orgo and physics + labs). I was thinking about signing up for one easy course, a 100 level biology class that I would pretty much just take for fun because it interests me and fits perfectly into my schedule. It's known to be an easy A class though.. I toyed with taking another upper level science instead, such as genetics or anatomy, but I don't think it's a good idea to do while taking orgo and physics and their labs, I mean I could handle it but I don't want to risk not getting an A. The easy bio class will be relaxing for me haha. I don't know if I should just avoid doing this alltogether though, it might look ridiculous because I've taken upper level biology already and gotten A's. For example I took two 300 level bio courses this semester, I don't want to look like a fool. I love bio though and this intro class is in a specific area I actually haven't taken yet and I felt it would be a good easy class to take to balance out the madness of concurrent orgo and physics. what do you all think?

Don't take intro biology since you already did well in higher level courses. Adcoms will know you're aiming for easy A.

Just take what you want and enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)

If it's for academic interest, go for it. Just don't make those the only classes you're taking. If you've reached the point where you're taking upper division science classes, continue taking upper division science classes.

When they're looking at your upper division courses, they want to get an idea if you can handle med school rigor or not. If you're the type of person who thrives on upper division classes, take advantage of taking them each semester/quarter. Give them a lot of chances to see that you can do.

I agree, if it is for fun, then why not take it. There is no reason to not to take certain classes you will enjoy while you are in undergrad. Its similar to taking an elective just because you want to learn more about a certain subject/enjoy the subject (leisure classes like bowling or tennis). Just make sure you are factoring in those more difficult science courses in future semesters to demonstrate your capability to handle higher level courses.

If you are taking a prereq for later bio classes (like intro bio for 300/400 level classes), that may look bad. If you are taking a lower level bio class because it expands on a certain topic (plant diversity classes or science in society, etc.) then I don't think adcoms will care.

I agree, if it is for fun, then why not take it. There is no reason to not to take certain classes you will enjoy while you are in undergrad. Its similar to taking an elective just because you want to learn more about a certain subject/enjoy the subject (leisure classes like bowling or tennis). Just make sure you are factoring in those more difficult science courses in future semesters to demonstrate your capability to handle higher level courses.

If you are taking a prereq for later bio classes (like intro bio for 300/400 level classes), that may look bad. If you are taking a lower level bio class because it expands on a certain topic (plant diversity classes or science in society, etc.) then I don't think adcoms will care.

I thought OP stated he took 300 level courses in biology and got A's, so taking a 100 biology course would seem that he's aiming for an easy A. 200+ courses are ideal

I thought OP stated he took 300 level courses in biology and got A's, so taking a 100 biology course would seem that he's aiming for an easy A. 200+ courses are ideal

It would be ideal. Some 100 classes are not only introductory classes, so it's hard to say. We could give better advice if OP could explain what the class was. Organic and physics are no walk in the park, so they need their dedicated time. I just figured the easier course this semester would be offset by the more rigorous physics and organic.

Instead of taking the extra class, OP could get some shadowing experience/volunteer experience.

Depends. Sounds like the course is in a particular area of interest to the OP, not simply generic bio 101. Seems like a totally reasonable choice.

It would be ideal. Some 100 classes are not only introductory classes, so it's hard to say. We could give better advice if OP could explain what the class was. Organic and physics are no walk in the park, so they need their dedicated time. I just figured the easier course this semester would be offset by the more rigorous physics and organic.

Instead of taking the extra class, OP could get some shadowing experience/volunteer experience.

:shrug: Beats me. I usually think 100 classes are intro-level courses (at least in my college). Specialized courses tend to be 200+ level. A specialized 100 course is an intro to something course. But it varies from college to college.

But, you mentioned a good point. OP, an extra class isn't necessary, and you can use the extra time for activities, which can help you focus your attack and success on orgo and physics.

:shrug: Beats me. I usually think 100 classes are intro-level courses (at least in my college). Specialized courses tend to be 200+ level. A specialized 100 course is an intro to something course. But it varies from college to college.

But, you mentioned a good point. OP, an extra class isn't necessary, and you can use the extra time for activities, which can help you focus your attack and success on orgo and physics.

It's definitely much more common for classes to be labeled as a 200 level class for more specialized classes and integration classes. My school only has 2 or 3 classes that are 100 and not introductory courses, and the rest that are more specialized/integration are 200.

I think people overthink this stuff. Just take the courses you want to take and don't worry about how it's going to be perceived. It's unlikely that your acceptance will hinge on this choice.

How will medical schools know that the 100 level course is not required for your degree?

I say take the course and not worry. I am doing that right now with a 100 level psych class. Do I have an A? No. I have a B+. The damn class has questions like "melatonin levels are highest during...
A. Day
B. Evening
C. Late evening
D. Night

I can't get questions like these right because it is too simplistic. What time is evening? What time is late evening? Is night like 9 PM or 5 PM or midnight? This varies with seasons, too, so are we talking summer or winter? Etc

If you want to take the class, take it. Just know well in advance that you might not do as well as you might think.

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.