Taking anything to orientation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you soon to be MS1's, are you taking a backpack to orientation? I'm figuring they'll be giving out stuff and I'll need something to carry it in. On the other hand, orientation lasts a week so will we be given tons of crap everyday or just on the first day??

Members don't see this ad.

Definately something to carry stuff in would be good, but I stopped carrying a backpack (I'm old) I have a bag that I use for work that's kind of a big purse....big enough to hold a notebook or two. I'll prolly bring that :)

Yeah, I want to get one of those satchel thingies but so far all the ones I have found are huge. I'm kinda petite and it looks like I'm hauling my mom's purse around. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been shopping for a school bag (not a backpack) for a while now, but can't find a nice one anywhere..anyone got any suggestions on where to go to find one?

For orientation, I am going to bring this school bag (when i find one), a pen and notebook.

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B
For all of you soon to be MS1's, are you taking a backpack to orientation? I'm figuring they'll be giving out stuff and I'll need something to carry it in. On the other hand, orientation lasts a week so will we be given tons of crap everyday or just on the first day??

my orientation is 1 day only! and the next day is gross anatomy at 8 am sharp!

Originally posted by starplayer
I have been shopping for a school bag (not a backpack) for a while now, but can't find a nice one anywhere..anyone got any suggestions on where to go to find one?

For orientation, I am going to bring this school bag (when i find one), a pen and notebook.

REI has some nice backpacks (www.rei.com)

Originally posted by oldman

Damn, you are not being eased into med school at all. You better bring a suitcase ;).

:eek: Orientation....*cringe*....I am not ready yet. I am presently enjoying my bum-like existance way too much. :eek:

Originally posted by daisygirl

:eek: Orientation....*cringe*....I am not ready yet. I am presently enjoying my bum-like existance way too much. :eek:

I've been out of work for almost two months now. I'm probably the biggest bum of them all!

Check some larger sports stores like Jumbo Sports (they have them on sale) or Sports Unlimited. You can try some of the luggage stores too. I got a JanSport bookbag from Samsonite. It has those Gellycomb straps that will be good for carrying all of those heavy books.

Hey Oldman

YOur school doesn't have any events planned for you!
That's odd. Is it one full day, like seminars in the morning and social event at night.

AK

Aren't any of you required to dress for photos during orientation? On my first day of orientation, they've got us wearing dress shirts and ties (for guys, that is). I guess I could shove that into my backpack between seminars...:(

Grrrr...I hate ties.:mad:

Nah. Hopefully my car will be in a nearby lot and i can just haul it all there. --Trek

Originally posted by Doc AdamK in 2006
Hey Oldman

YOur school doesn't have any events planned for you!
That's odd. Is it one full day, like seminars in the morning and social event at night.

AK

Let's see...

Orientation Day:

8 AM - 10 AM
class photo, white coat fitting, tours, paperwork

10 AM
welcome by varoius deans and president of medical council

10:45 AM
patient encounter

11:45 AM
Lunch with 'Master Tutors'

1:15 PM
Financial Aid

1:30 PM
2nd year panel

2:30 PM
Overview of Gross Anatomy

2:45 PM
Wellness in Med School

3:15 PM
Ice Cream Social

8:00 AM Next morning

GROSS ANATOMY FOR THE NEXT 7 WEEKS!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by daisygirl

Damn, you are not being eased into med school at all. You better bring a suitcase ;).

Thank goodness I live in the area already! :)

Ill probably be bringing my bookbag (which I havent picked out yet but am probably going to get the Prodigy by Ogio because of the laptop sleeve) some paper, a pen of some sort, and my little flask filled with whiskey. gonna be a stressful day ;)

If you're looking for a good messenger style bag (with or without a laptop compartment), I'd recommend checking out Timbuk2

They're a company in San Francisco that makes bags for couriers, but their commuter bags are great and come in several sizes. The best part is that you get to pick the features you want and the colors! They are a bit pricey though.

Another option is to look at LL Bean. I'm particularly fond of their backpacks and courier bag. I've had an LL Bean backpack (several of them really) since I was 10. They last forever and have a lifetime guarantee. Can't get much better than that!

LL Bean

Orientation for me is three days long filled with seminars on how to make the transition into medical school smoothly. I plan to take my cute black messanger type bag, which I bought in Target (awesome price;)), a notebook, a folder with all of my registration papers in it, and a pen. I'm pretty much ready for school because this is all I'm planning to take to class anyway.:D I already checked out the books that we will use throughout the semester, and they are pretty small (REALLY SMALL PRINT!!). But, at least I won't get a back ache halling them from one end of the hospital to the other.:)

Originally posted by oldman

Talk about night and day differences. At my school orientation is 4 days long and we don't take anatomy until year 2.

My orientation last 5 whole days!!!:clap: No Gross anatomy until about third week. We havn't got the detailed schedual yet.

I'm planning on bringing a bag and my notebook thingy that I took with me to all of the interviews to record phone numbers.

Wow oldman, one day for orientation and then back to the grindstone. :eek: My school hasnt really sent out any mailings about what will happen. All I know is group stuff with 2nd year leaders, and a white coat ceremony on friday.

Originally posted by Jalby
My orientation last 5 whole days!!!:clap: No Gross anatomy until about third week. We havn't got the detailed schedual yet.

Jalby, USC has given us the detailed schedule. It's part of one of those really thick packets, though it is just a draft and might change. Still, it's pretty detailed.