Taking Classes at Community College Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perrcoxmd1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before. I graduated last year and am going to be taking some classes at a community college this summer in order to improve my sGPA. I'm thinking about taking a "anatomy and physiology" class, but in undergrad I took a class that was just called "human physiology" (no anatomy). Is AMCAS /AACOMAS going to give me a problem with this? How about another class just called the "the human body"?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I took many courses at a community college including science courses and pre reqs for medical school.

But I did this prior to transferring to a 4 year university and was able to maintain a good sGPA in my science classes at the 4 year (3.7+).

I think if your sGPA from your 4 year uni is low it will NOT look good to back track and take courses at the community college in order to raise it.

If you want to raise it, take more science courses at a 4 year. This will help prove to adcoms that you can fo well in upper level science courses.

Also, many claim that science courses at community college aren't as rigourous as the same courses at a 4 year university. This causes people, including adcoms to look down on community college courses.

I'm my own case, it didn't seem to be an issue at all but n=1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, many claim that science courses at community college aren't as rigourous as the same courses at a 4 year university. This causes people, including adcoms to look down on community college courses.

I'm my own case, it didn't seem to be an issue at all but n=1.

This is one thing I haven't decided on yet. I don't want to deplete cash, being a non-trad with a family but I also don't want to take the prereqs at a CC and have adcoms frown upon those numbers. I have heard non-trads taking CC classes isn't as frowned upon, but then your MCAT had better be on point.

SO many factors when it comes to preparing for application to medical school. It's crazy but will be more than worth it.

This is one thing I haven't decided on yet. I don't want to deplete cash, being a non-trad with a family but I also don't want to take the prereqs at a CC and have adcoms frown upon those numbers. I have heard non-trads taking CC classes isn't as frowned upon, but then your MCAT had better be on point.

SO many factors when it comes to preparing for application to medical school. It's crazy but will be more than worth it.
If you're going follow up and take 3000/4000 level science courses at a university then that is completely fine too.

Nontrads do get more slack in this area due to other commitments, finances, etc.

If you're going follow up and take 3000/4000 level science courses at a university then that is completely fine too.

Nontrads do get more slack in this area due to other commitments, finances, etc.

Okay cool. I may major in Psychology, but I would still take Biochem, Genetics and possibly two other upper-division Biology courses. Not sure if Biochem and Genetics would be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Okay cool. I may major in Psychology, but I would still take Biochem, Genetics and possibly two other upper-division Biology courses. Not sure if Biochem and Genetics would be enough.

I'd ask goro. Your situation is different and I think you'd be fine still but I'd get some advice from an adcom also search for this topic on this forum as it probably has been asked.

If it were me, I'd take it a little further and call each school I'm be applying to in the future and ask directly.

The prevailing wisdom on SDN is:

Perfectly fine to start at CC then switch up to 4-year
Okay to use them after graduate do show mastery of higher-level science
Problematic to attempt to take prereqs as if you are trying to get out of the weed-outs

I'd ask goro. Your situation is different and I think you'd be fine still but I'd get some advice from an adcom also search for this topic on this forum as it probably has been asked.

If it were me, I'd take it a little further and call each school I'm be applying to in the future and ask directly.

I believe Goro said for a non-trad CC is okay for prerequisites. I think calling the individual schools is also a great idea. Texas A&M doesn't want Ochem and Statistics from a CC, but that's based solely on MSAR. Everyone else is cool with CC on MSAR. Calling to confirm would be wise.

Reactions: 1 user
The prevailing wisdom on SDN is:

Perfectly fine to start at CC then switch up to 4-year
Okay to use them after graduate do show mastery of higher-level science
Problematic to attempt to take prereqs as if you are trying to get out of the weed-outs

Indeed. I believe the major thing I've been hearing repeated is that you don't want to be the person who's attending a 4-year and then decides to take prerequisites at a CC during the summer to try and avoid taking them at the 4-year. Non-trads get a bit of a break on prerequisites at CC because of finances, raising kids and availability of courses.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I graduated last year and am going to be taking some classes at a community college this summer in order to improve my sGPA. I'm thinking about taking a "anatomy and physiology" class, but in undergrad I took a class that was just called "human physiology" (no anatomy). Is AMCAS /AACOMAS going to give me a problem with this? How about another class just called the "the human body"?
Some CCs do Anatomy/Physiology as a sequence as level, others do them

Some CCs do Anatomy/Physiology as a sequence as level, others do them
whoops I clicked enter too early. Others do them separately. You will find a lot of RN and Dental Hygiene students in these classes. I went to CC as a semi-nontrad and it was a great experience.