Taking DAT after application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking my dat Aug 15, my application will be finished by June, should I send in application without the DAT and sent DT score in Aug, or will they not look at application until I have a DAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on taking my dat Aug 15, my application will be finished by June, should I send in application without the DAT and sent DT score in Aug, or will they not look at application until I have a DAT score?

I think from what I hear you have to have all the information in before they will review your file. But I hear if you send app by june and DAT July or early August you are still in early pool. please correct me if im wrong anyone.:confused:

send in your application. it takes the longest for them to verify your grades and stuff and it only takes a couple weeks for your DAT scores to get sent in. I had my app finished early june and didnt take my DAT's until late july and had no problems. Just get your application and LOR's done as soon as you can

Members don't see this ad :)

They will not look at your application until everything is completed. However, you should still sumbit your AADSAS un June, and just wait for the DAT scores to get care of itself.

They will not look at your application until everything is completed. However, you should still sumbit your AADSAS un June, and just wait for the DAT scores to get care of itself.

I think they do, I submitted in June w/o a DAT and had 2-3 secondaries sent to me. I did get a lot more after my DAT on August 15th.

To the OP, when you take your DAT they give you a copy of your scores. Send a copy of that to every school you applied to and they'll accept it until the official DAT scores come from the ADA. I should have done that.

UNR is correct, in that some schools will send you secondaries as soon as they receive your app--these are the schools that require secondaries from every applicant regardless of stats. The schools that require certain stats before sending out secondaries will wait until after your DAT score. Regardless, none of the schools are going to have the committee review your app until everything is in.

You should definitely submit your app as soon as possible and just send in your DAT scores once you have them. It takes aadsas over a month to verify your app before they send it to schools, so let them start working on that while you're doing your DAT stuff.

I would submit early and then take the DAT when you want to. I submitted in may and then took the DAT a week or 2 later.

Regardless, of when they look at you application it would behoove you to submit your application as soon as possible. There are two reasons why, first mistakes happen the sooner you submit the application in total the sooner any potential problems will come to life. These are much easier to correct when aadsas is dealing with a thousand applications versus later on when it will be 10,000 applications.

Secondly, your DAT scores are directly sent to the schools you include so they will get your scores straight away and you can send a copy of your unofficial score sheet as a holdover. Either way the rest of your application is read at the school. This will not be the case if you wait to submit your AADSAS application in August.

And also you will get it out of the way so you can concentrate on rocking the DAT.

This is exactly what I did last year. I submitted my application on May 29th and took my DATs in aug just so that i can stay in the "early pool applicants" zone. The only thing sucks is that i didn't do so good on the DAT. If I would have known my scores before I applied, I would have never wasted so much money applying for this score. So from my experience, I wouldn't recommend anyone taking DAT after applying unless you are 100% positive that you are going to rock the DAT. This time I am taking my DAT in july and will be applying in aug if I do better than last time. Good luck!

I would strongly advice two things, first do not take the DAT until you are ready to take it, and two do not wait until August to submit your application. On August 31 2007, AADSAS already received 7400 applications, if you submit your application August 1st and it takes the minimal four weeks to process schools will not even have it in their possession until after Labor Day and you will like be buried under 800 other applications and weeks away from review, this scenario is not that bad and puts you right in the middle of the curve. However, if it takes eight weeks to process or if transcripts get lost or some other error occurs schools may not get to your file until well into October or November decreasing your opportunity to get those oh so important pre-December one interview slots.

i think it would be best if you were to discuss this with Dr. Shinnar herself !!!!!!