Taking DAT without organic...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xdianaax

In memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take the dat with organic and do well? What do you think? I'm getting impatient and I kind of want to just teach myself and take the DAT earlier...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone take the dat with organic and do well? What do you think? I'm getting impatient and I kind of want to just teach myself and take the DAT earlier...

Wouldn't try it, there is a reason why that class makes some preprofesionals. I took my DAT right after taking organic and didn't really have to study for that section much. I couldn't imaging teaching myself that much material. Be patient.

:rolleyes: Thank you, I knew it was probably the best thing, maybe I was hoping for someone to convinve me otherwise...lol

Members don't see this ad :)

i dont think you would be able to teach yourself, or at least it would be difficult. take the classes, your DAT organic score will thank you.

I took the DAT without taking organic. It was very hard to teach myself that much material. I also didn't do well on the DAT. When I reapplied I retook the DAT with the benefit of organic classes. Much easier to review organic than to learn it cold, my score went up. However, I've seen threads on SDN where people claim to do fine on the DAT without the organic course. I suggest you pick up a review book and see if you think you could teach yourself organic out of the review materials and try to answer a couple of the questions in the review test. If you can pull it off, you save a year of your life if you get in on the first try.

I was in your same position at the beginning of the semester. There is no way that I was going to be able to teach myself organic after spending a little time studying it. Just be patient and our time will come soon!

Marion

I took the DAT without Organic II and got a 20 on it. I can't imagine trying it without at least Organic I. The second half is mostly learning reactions and spectroscopy, both of which aren't that difficult to self teach.

True, a lot of the organic 2 stuff on test is basic in the extreme. As jfitzpat mentioned, its just a lot of spec and reactions which are easy to teach yourself. My friend took it without org 2(actually, he was in org 2 while taking it was like the 2nd week of class so he hadnt learned much of anything yet). He ended up getting only an 18 but he didnt study for it at all.