1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Taking DAT without organic...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by xdianaax, Mar 28, 2007.

1. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Anyone take the dat with organic and do well? What do you think? I'm getting impatient and I kind of want to just teach myself and take the DAT earlier...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Wouldn't try it, there is a reason why that class makes some preprofesionals. I took my DAT right after taking organic and didn't really have to study for that section much. I couldn't imaging teaching myself that much material. Be patient.

4. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :rolleyes: Thank you, I knew it was probably the best thing, maybe I was hoping for someone to convinve me otherwise...lol

5. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i dont think you would be able to teach yourself, or at least it would be difficult. take the classes, your DAT organic score will thank you.

6. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I took the DAT without taking organic. It was very hard to teach myself that much material. I also didn't do well on the DAT. When I reapplied I retook the DAT with the benefit of organic classes. Much easier to review organic than to learn it cold, my score went up. However, I've seen threads on SDN where people claim to do fine on the DAT without the organic course. I suggest you pick up a review book and see if you think you could teach yourself organic out of the review materials and try to answer a couple of the questions in the review test. If you can pull it off, you save a year of your life if you get in on the first try.

7. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was in your same position at the beginning of the semester. There is no way that I was going to be able to teach myself organic after spending a little time studying it. Just be patient and our time will come soon!

Marion

8. jfitzpat

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I took the DAT without Organic II and got a 20 on it. I can't imagine trying it without at least Organic I. The second half is mostly learning reactions and spectroscopy, both of which aren't that difficult to self teach.

9. Loop

2+ Year Member

True, a lot of the organic 2 stuff on test is basic in the extreme. As jfitzpat mentioned, its just a lot of spec and reactions which are easy to teach yourself. My friend took it without org 2(actually, he was in org 2 while taking it was like the 2nd week of class so he hadnt learned much of anything yet). He ended up getting only an 18 but he didnt study for it at all.