Taking easy classes right before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SiR99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any medical students or people who have gone through the interview process can comment on this situation with regards to what adcoms ask or think about.

I was thinking of taking a light load (e.g GE-P/F, graded research project, upper div class). I was going to do something like this for fall and winter quarter and then apply at the end of winter quarter, hoping I can keep my gpa as high as I can. However, this would leave me with a hard load, of all upper div science classes for spring quarter, summer school, and the following fall quarter (Everyone goes through this stage where they take all upper div sciences classes so I'm not really complaining about that).

My question is, will Adcoms grill me about taking this light load? People tell me they dont care whether you take easy or hard classes as long as you do well, but others tell me they have been asked why you did not choose a harder schedules to challenge yourself.

I'm sick of jumping through hoops and im starting to get burned out and dont want to mess anything up right before applying, is it better to just go the safer route?

Members don't see this ad.

i know exactly how you feel. im a chem major and my first 2.5 years i took at least 5 classes with research and EC's and whatnot and was getting so burned out, so my 2nd semeter junior year i took 3 classes with 4 credits of P/S research. granted i was studying for my MCAT, but it was still nice to have so few classes tow orry about. i think if you have a semester of not terribly hard classes that it should be not too bad at all.

I am taking a really light course load this semester so that I will be free for interviews.

When I say light I mean only 9 graded credits and 6 P/F credits, oh and somehow I managed to only have classes Tues and Thurs. I am so excited for next semester even if I don't get many interviews because I will ahve more free time than I have ever had.