Taking extra time off at Target or at other pharmacies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gradintern

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My family lives overseas and I would like to be able to take a couple weeks off maybe 2 to 3 times a year to see them or for other reasons. At the major pharmacy chains they get a lot of floater pharmacists and I imagine that if I wanted to take time off, if the scheduler was the accommodating type, they could get someone to replace me then. How would that work at Target? Does anyone know if they are flexible as far as getting someone to replace you occasionally? Any experiences at other pharmacies as far as flexibility of taking unpaid vacation would be much appreciated 🙂
 
I think it would be tough. Target doesn't have many floaters. I think you may do it once a year but I think that is already pushing it.
 
Starting off you only have l~2 weeks of vacation per year, unless you have been employed there for some time. Most companies will not give you unpaid vacation days and if you had a store, you would likely be replaced.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends, do you need benefits? if you are part-time, I think they would be far more accommodating. You'd probably end up floating all the time but then you could really just pick and choose the shifts you want. It's kind of what I do. You'd just need to remember that the hours can be far from consistent and you make go along time w/o working
 
Thanks for all the replies! So if I were a "full time floater pharmacist", do you think I could get them to cover my shifts once or twice a year, or only if I am a "part time floater pharmacist"?
 
You'd be pushing it even as a floater. Sometimes floaters won't know their schedules until the day before!!!