Taking FUN classes after d-school acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Durian

Durio zibethinus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I searched for this question and could not find an answer; most people focused on slacking off or asking if grades matter after an acceptance.

Question: Does it matter if I take classes after I get accepted even though I indicated in secondary apps that I currently am not taking classes and do not plan on taking classes?

Specifically, I want to take FUN classes (and maybe some sciences) just for the hell of it. I have finished all prerequisites for the schools I have applied to. This question is assuming I get accepted into this cycle and be part of the class of 2015.

I'm asking this question because I remember the secondary for UCSF asked if I am currently taking or plan on taking any classes. I put 'no.' I have changed my mind since then.

Members don't see this ad.

Dang, nearly 200 views with no comments. Come on, any opinions???

Alright, I searched for this question and could not find an answer; most people focused on slacking off or asking if grades matter after an acceptance.

Question: Does it matter if I take classes after I get accepted even though I indicated in secondary apps that I currently am not taking classes and do not plan on taking classes?

Specifically, I want to take FUN classes (and maybe some sciences) just for the hell of it. I have finished all prerequisites for the schools I have applied to. This question is assuming I get accepted into this cycle and be part of the class of 2015.

I'm asking this question because I remember the secondary for UCSF asked if I am currently taking or plan on taking any classes. I put 'no.' I have changed my mind since then.

If you get accepted, you're in. Take whatever classes you want. Just don't slack off and fail them all, that could come back to bite you. Just to be absolutely sure if there is anything expected of you (maintaing a certain GPA, no more pre-reqs, etc) call the school after you get your acceptance. But I highly doubt they would look down on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think it matters what classes you take on your final semester so long as all of your pre-reque's have been meet.

It's not like they are going to send you a second letter that says:

Dear John :) ,
"I am sorry to inform you that we are forced to with-drawl you from our University because you decided to take 'blow-off' classes your senior year like... Ceramics, TV-Film Studies, Scuba Diving, and Art History.

No, no, it does NOT matter that you spend the last 3 1/2 years of your adult life busting your ***** everyday, giving up your weekends, party's, and sweating bullets at every ___(insert worst science class)___ exam.

You are no longer welcome at our educational instituition. Please do not contact us again!"

LOL, sorry, I just got out of an exam and just needed to be a smart-***** about something that does not involve BioChemistry or Physical Chemistry...

how about not taking any courses and just save your money lol

I play to work for those 6 months before dental school. I am a software engineer, I'll be looking for a 6-month contract position at some company. I could make about 25-35k those 6 months... helps me pay off my living expense first year of DS

I am in a MS program and I will be taking a lot of "slack-off" courses next Spring, regardless of if I get accepted or not. These include several 1 credit module courses that will be cake and teaching. I don't think a school that accepts me would reverse my acceptance because these courses have heavy sounding names like Microbial/Host Defense and Interactions, etc. As fate would have it, the way I set up my degree plan last year has me taking easy courses next semester. :thumbup:

If I were you, I wouldnt take any courses, save money, have fun and do some fun stuff. Go travel if you can or just spend a lot of down time with family and friends.

Dentalworks,

Have you already found a contract position? It is funny, cause I just got an email about one before I read your post. Lol

Great advice! This is going to sound kind of ******ed, but I'm done with my down time. I worked the last year and have a good amount of money saved up. Then I got laid off about 2 months ago and all I've been doing is hanging out, partying, etc etc etc. I feel as if my brain is getting slower by the minute haha. I really feel the need to 'get back into gear' right now.

Thanks for all the input though! Much appreciated :)

Dentalworks,

Have you already found a contract position? It is funny, cause I just got an email about one before I read your post. Lol

yeh I get interviewed alot lol. I haven't accepted anything yet because I am still in school until first week of december.

Afterwards, depending on if/where I get accepted.... I will make a decision as to where I want to work.